Drive Belt "Shucking"

bartles

Threads
I just restored a Murray 30", Model 30544x92D, and had an issue with the drive belt, newly installed, coming off. Anyone seen this issue before me?
The drive pulley and driven pulley both appear to be in good shape, and the belt tensioning idler, flat, spins freely and the bearings are tight. There isn't a lot of
room between the engine and transmission so I am a little surprised it was even able to come off. To put it on I have to remove the transmission to get it
on the transmission around the belt retainers.

Advise?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely missing belt retainers either on the engine or the idler pulley. Need to look at what pulley it is coming off of to narrow down the issues.

bartles

Threads
Most likely missing belt retainers either on the engine or the idler pulley. Need to look at what pulley it is coming off of to narrow down the issues.
Thanks for the reply....I'm embarrassed to admit I put the darn thing on wrong...had it wrapped around the tensioner bracket...(red in the face)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@bartles Don't feel back about making a mistake. everybody does it from time to time. Sometimes i get items in the shop that the customer did something stupid, and the only thing you can do is laugh.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now IL you are not guilty of put a saw chain on backwards a few times over the years are you? :LOL:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now IL you are not guilty of put a saw chain on backwards a few times over the years are you? :LOL:
I was thinking more along the lines of a customer shutting the mower off to talk to a neighbor, and when he goes to restart, nothing happens. So he takes the battery out and goes to Walmart and gets a new battery, but still doesn't do anything. Borrows the neighbors trailer, and gets the neighbor to help him push it up on the trailer, so he can haul it to my shop. Customer shows up and I just on the mower before even unstrapping it and start the mower a few times.

Found the reason for the mower not starting was the customer and the neighbor both didn't push the brake pedal down to start the mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or like not resetting the kill switch when we get so use to unit with auto reset switches. I did that recent on a trimmer that had a manual switch. I pull and pull then I thought about checking the kill switch. It now has an auto reset switch. Somebody had changed it and put the wrong switch on it.

bartles

Threads
Or like not resetting the kill switch when we get so use to unit with auto reset switches. I did that recent on a trimmer that had a manual switch. I pull and pull then I thought about checking the kill switch. It now has an auto reset switch. Somebody had changed it and put the wrong switch on it.
Yelp!!

bartles

Threads
I was thinking more along the lines of a customer shutting the mower off to talk to a neighbor, and when he goes to restart, nothing happens. So he takes the battery out and goes to Walmart and gets a new battery, but still doesn't do anything. Borrows the neighbors trailer, and gets the neighbor to help him push it up on the trailer, so he can haul it to my shop. Customer shows up and I just on the mower before even unstrapping it and start the mower a few times.

Found the reason for the mower not starting was the customer and the neighbor both didn't push the brake pedal down to start the mower.
Yelp....or the dang insistance the fuel tank has fuel in it.