Dont let your equipment be an excuse to not do a great Job!

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
  • / Dont let your equipment be an excuse to not do a great Job!
I disagree with several parts of the little video. first off someone else is treating that lawn and the irrigation system helps. second a professional wouldn't have edged the sidewalk with a string trimmer and lastly we could have mowed all 5 of those lawns in that little area in the time it took to make that video and charged more money. the big guy is big for a reason he hires competent operators has commercial equipment all day everyday and is efficient. my customers don't want me in their yard all day mowing that's why they pay me. I'm in do high end work and I'm gone. most of my stops we're 2-3-4 lawns at the same time. I see guys like the video all the time, some do outstanding work, some can charge the same for a yard and good for them and thanks, because when their mower is broke and they start getting a little unreliable your customer will call me.

icon2000

Threads
Wow is it really that serious I think there's room for both of us.
I disagree with several parts of the little video. first off someone else is treating that lawn and the irrigation system helps. second a professional wouldn't have edged the sidewalk with a string trimmer and lastly we could have mowed all 5 of those lawns in that little area in the time it took to make that video and charged more money. the big guy is big for a reason he hires competent operators has commercial equipment all day everyday and is efficient. my customers don't want me in their yard all day mowing that's why they pay me. I'm in do high end work and I'm gone. most of my stops we're 2-3-4 lawns at the same time. I see guys like the video all the time, some do outstanding work, some can charge the same for a yard and good for them and thanks, because when their mower is broke and they start getting a little unreliable your customer will call me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow is it really that serious I think there's room for both of us.

Yes it's that serious. Now this may sound kind of course but you mention in your video that the big company's pulling up with there ZTR mowers and all there equipment used to make you feel bad and inferior but you've basically learned to ignore them and that and your making basically the same money they are with the equipment you have when in reality your not even close.
As TaskForceLawnCare said we could have mowed all 5 of those lawns in that little area in the time it took to make that video and charged more money, which is true. The problem is when you say is it that serious, to the guy that has 30 to 50K in equipment in or on his trailer who is trying to make an honest living in the business it is that serious.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes it's that serious. Now this may sound kind of course but you mention in your video that the big company's pulling up with there ZTR mowers and all there equipment used to make you feel bad and inferior but you've basically learned to ignore them and that and your making basically the same money they are with the equipment you have when in reality your not even close.
As TaskForceLawnCare said we could have mowed all 5 of those lawns in that little area in the time it took to make that video and charged more money, which is true. The problem is when you say is it that serious, to the guy that has 30 to 50K in equipment in or on his trailer who is trying to make an honest living in the business it is that serious.

I agree, however in the time you did five lawns super fast I can give each customer personal attention, talk to them, maybe some pruning, maybe they have some trimmings they wanna throw in my truck to take to the dump. And no I am not making as much money as you guys. But I will have customers who will never leave me, and I make enough money ill expand someday but right now ill be happy making extremely loyal customers

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree, however in the time you did five lawns super fast I can give each customer personal attention, talk to them, maybe some pruning, maybe they have some trimmings they wanna throw in my truck to take to the dump. And no I am not making as much money as you guys. But I will have customers who will never leave me, and I make enough money ill expand someday but right now ill be happy making extremely loyal customers

See that's the thing, I don't have to mow my lawns super fast because my standard mowing speed is faster than a lawn tractor and a push mower at there maximum speed. So it gives me more time to give a customer or client personal attention. I think you'll find that the larger company's will do more for there clients than you could ever do just because of the equipment they run and there efficiency in and for the the job.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
its more like efficient everybody in the truck has a job and that's what they do. as far as quality and goes we specialize in higher end residential. its nice to talk to the customers every now and then, but the second you stop you are losing money. what you can do is hire a part time PR rep and send them around to talk with customers and gather leads.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
its more like efficient everybody in the truck has a job and that's what they do. as far as quality and goes we specialize in higher end residential. its nice to talk to the customers every now and then, but the second you stop you are losing money. what you can do is hire a part time PR rep and send them around to talk with customers and gather leads.

That's what I've said all the long, in this business time is money and it comes with efficiency.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads

PR person might cost more to you than stopping a few minutes to talk to the client.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
PR person might cost more to you than stopping a few minutes to talk to the client.

Client also likes to talk to the owner of the business not a hired laborer... Personal touch something big companies cannot deliver

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Client also likes to talk to the owner of the business not a hired laborer... Personal touch something big companies cannot deliver

I agree.

A guy that owns the car lot next to my grand kids day care. Come over and held me up for over a hour. Next day cut the car lot and one of his rentals.
Now I also cut his 8 acre yard and two other car lots.
Every two weeks when I see him and his wife I spend a hour talking as he writes my check for a grand for a days work.

Oh and I have to bring my 13 year old daughter because she reminds them of their grand daughter the died a few years ago.

This man is 73 years old and knows a lot of people. I will talk to him as long as he wants.