Dont let your equipment be an excuse to not do a great Job!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Dont let your equipment be an excuse to not do a great Job!
I agree 100%. Take pride in what you do. I don't have a commercial mower but I do a better job the most I mow next to. Price may be a reason some don't use me but that is not a problem for me. I make yards everyone envies.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pride is what it takes to make it.

I have a lot of mowers and choose not to use big commercial mowers.

I believe in Quality not quantity

We see it all the time the guy with the $12.000 mower that takes no pride on his work. Cuts the grass going 100mph and it looks like crap. Cut to low and little donuts at the end of every pass.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
http://youtu.be/l-rKk6hKPjw
Take pride in your work even with the basics and it will payoff.

I started out just like that. It took years of hard hard work to get to the point to where I am today. I have zero turns, tractors, excavators, backhoes, several trailers, the whole nine yards, And just do a good job, you will get repeat clients, and new ones, and sometimes you will be referred from person to person. You will grow slowly, but will pay off.

I only started out with my truck, trailer, Montgomery Ward ride on, Montgomery Ward push mower, chainsaw, couple of weed eaters, old edger, and a leaf blower. And several other types of hand tools. I grew slowly at times, and sometimes really quick, but in the end, just do your very best and take pride in what you do, it may pay off one day. And you may grow to be a big company like me :thumbsup:

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Pride is what it takes to make it.

I have a lot of mowers and choose not to use big commercial mowers.

I believe in Quality not quantity

We see it all the time the guy with the $12.000 mower that takes no pride on his work. Cuts the grass going 100mph and it looks like crap. Cut to low and little donuts at the end of every pass.

I believe in quality too. I just have lots of equipment and commercial mowers because we have lots and lots of clients, (espically commercial clients), and we do Home Improvement too. I see people mow at the speed of light all the time, grass looks like crap and doesn't look cut. I have ride on LT's and GT's for other jobs too, just not many zero turns.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I agree 100%. Take pride in what you do. I don't have a commercial mower but I do a better job the most I mow next to. Price may be a reason some don't use me but that is not a problem for me. I make yards everyone envies.

I see people using commercial mowers all the time and it looks like they have no idea what the heck they are doing and their job looks like crap. They looks as frightened and nervous as a cat under a rocking chair

icon2000

Threads
It's great to hear that it's a process of growth sometimes I want to throw in the towel and then along comes a day that makes it all worth while.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I started with a front drive craftsman mower in the back of a jeep Cherokee. This year I decided to stop running residential mowers. I spent to much time fixing them. I did just as good of a job with my ressy mowers that I do with my toro. But Goddam I go a lot faster less downtime and a better cut never turning back

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://youtu.be/l-rKk6hKPjw
Take pride in your work even with the basics and it will payoff.

I agree with taking pride in ones work and doing a good job, I think that's a must no matter what job you do. I disagree with the video and some of the things said though. The video IMO clearly shows someone who is not trying to make a living in the Lawn-care business. To say that you don't need those heavy ZTR mowers and equipment to do a good job is true if you don't want to use your time effectively and make enough money in a week to pay all the bills and have enough money left to keep the business running. You can do a great job with any equipment, the better the equipment the better the job can be. It all comes down to the individual running the equipment and what there trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I started with a front drive craftsman mower in the back of a jeep Cherokee. This year I decided to stop running residential mowers. I spent to much time fixing them. I did just as good of a job with my ressy mowers that I do with my toro. But Goddam I go a lot faster less downtime and a better cut never turning back

I think everyone has a starting point, it's just that the greatest majority that start mowing stay at that point or give up because they find there's more involved in running a lawn-care business and it's not as easy as they thought. I see these guys everyday with there lawn tractors minimal equipment and they think because they charge what the big company's are charging there making as much money when in reality there not even in the same ball park. It doesn't dawn on them that it's not how much you charge per cut but how many cuts per hour you can do that makes your hourly wage. Like you said, with the commercial you're running your faster, less downtime and get a better cut.