Does anyone use the SRM-225 for edging?

LawnBoy97

Threads
I think I am going to go with this Echo trimmer, but I just want to make sure it is an ok trimmer for edging. I have a 10+ year old craftsman that edges great, probably because it has a very large handle so is very easy to hold. Last year, my partner bought a new craftsman trimmer and it is just too light or something and a bit harder to control and would jump ll over and cut into the yard too much. So I was just wondering, how many of you use this trimmer for edging, and does it work well? Thanks

Also, I found this article and don't know if this is just a rare thing or if it is common. New Echo SRM-225 trimmer bought at Home Depot stalls when sideways - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Last edited:
Threads
I can edge with my trimmer both upside down (picture #1) and sideways (picture #2), and don't have any trouble with it! It works well but I like using my edger more now that I have one! :biggrin:
trimmer upside down.jpg trimmer sideways.jpg

MowerMike

Threads
Same as LMF. I also have both a PE-225 edger and SRM-225 trimmer. Although it is possible to edge with the trimmer, it is much easier and far more consistent with my edger. Also, I can set a trench with the edger, whereas I cannot do this with my trimmer.

LawnBoy97

Threads
Have any of you used a 4-cycle edger? Craftsman 3hp 4 cycle Edger | Flickr - Berbagi Foto! Something like in the picture. The lawn mower shop has one like it for about $100. I guess I could consider buying a purpose-built edger, but the $230 for the Echo is a bit scary. I know it would be easier to carry, but the used one is a bit cheaper.

Threads
Have any of you used a 4-cycle edger? Craftsman 3hp 4 cycle Edger | Flickr - Berbagi Foto! Something like in the picture. The lawn mower shop has one like it for about $100. I guess I could consider buying a purpose-built edger, but the $230 for the Echo is a bit scary. I know it would be easier to carry, but the used one is a bit cheaper.

I have not, but you can see what people said about the two kinds in this thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/general-mower-discussion/11688-walk-behind-vs-stick-edger.html. :smile:

LawnBoy97

Threads
I guess I will have to talk it over with my partner then and see what he thinks. He has a Craftsman weed whacker with the attachment thing, so I don't know if he would want to buy that, or for us to just get an edger. Thanks for the help.

Threads
I think I am going to go with this Echo trimmer, but I just want to make sure it is an ok trimmer for edging. I have a 10+ year old craftsman that edges great, probably because it has a very large handle so is very easy to hold. Last year, my partner bought a new craftsman trimmer and it is just too light or something and a bit harder to control and would jump ll over and cut into the yard too much. So I was just wondering, how many of you use this trimmer for edging, and does it work well? Thanks

Also, I found this article and don't know if this is just a rare thing or if it is common. New Echo SRM-225 trimmer bought at Home Depot stalls when sideways - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

I use my srm210 for edging so the 225 should be fine too.

LawnBoy97

Threads
That looks good! :thumbsup:

Looks a bit rough, and the replaced carb and feul lines makes me nervous, but I might have to give him a call. It might be too far away though, so I'll have to see.