Do you recommend a self propelled push mower for reverse use?

baxeckert

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Do you recommend a self propelled push mower for reverse use?
Hi all!
I'm new here and am in the market for a gas, self propelled push mower but I have a question about their use. I have a fairly long and rather steep 8 ft. tall hill that I've previously cut with a standard push mower, the bottom half from the bottom of the hill and the top half from the top. How hard is it going to be to cutting the top half, standing on the top of the hill, while pulling a self propelled mower back towards me? Would you recommend sticking with a non self propelled mower under those conditions? Thanks a bunch!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to have that exact deal on my rear lot, near straight down to the street x 100ft long. I rigged up my "ditch mower" with a double handle and four of the bigger wheels. I mowed the bottom going along the side, then down from the top. Had to make a couple swipes, then wait for the carb to pick up gas and let the motor re-oil itself. I had the handles so they would just lay flat when going over the top. Those big wheels actually made this old mower really easy to push too. Self propelled probably not the best for this.

baxeckert

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I might be better going without it. Glad you were able to figure out a work through on yours too! Thanks for your help and stay safe!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your grass is in good condition consider a reel mower.
Because the engine is horizontal they can handle really steep slopes.
In reality ou should be using 2 stroke but the flat earth EPA regulators overlooked mowing on steep hills.

baxeckert

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your grass is in good condition consider a reel mower.
Because the engine is horizontal they can handle really steep slopes.
In reality ou should be using 2 stroke but the flat earth EPA regulators overlooked mowing on steep hills.
Ahhh, I hadn't thought of that as an option. It's certainly something to consider. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just remember reel mowers were invented to maniqure the fine grasses on M'lord front lawn and spread the peacock droppings .
They do not kike tough grasses , rough uneven surfaces or a lawn full of sticks & twigs.
OTOH the rollers being quite large can happily drive up really steep hills.
And there are some that have both forward & reverse gears