Do you live in an area that regulates grass and weed heights?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Do you live in an area that regulates grass and weed heights?
Everyplace I have owned property, the local authorities have mandated that in property occupied, at least to a certain depth of the lot, grass and weeds be permitted to grow to a maximum of eight inches in height before the owner is considered to be in violation of the laws. Seems pretty stupid to me. The vacant lot across the road from us has weeds three feet high or more, and I could complain, but what good would it do? IMO the noxious weed ordinances are more a tool to provide revenue for govermental agencies than for any other reason. Maybe when the lot across the road gets to be six feet high I will complain to the township.....:laughing::laughing:

Threads
Everyplace I have owned property, the local authorities have mandated that in property occupied, at least to a certain depth of the lot, grass and weeds be permitted to grow to a maximum of eight inches in height before the owner is considered to be in violation of the laws. Seems pretty stupid to me. The vacant lot across the road from us has weeds three feet high or more, and I could complain, but what good would it do? IMO the noxious weed ordinances are more a tool to provide revenue for govermental agencies than for any other reason. Maybe when the lot across the road gets to be six feet high I will complain to the township.....:laughing::laughing:

I guess they are to easy on them here because maximum is 18" but this is only in the city limits. They are in the process of making it county wide, and it is to include vacant properties as well.. Our problem is a bunch of cheap mortgage companies that wont maintain property that has been abandoned. They want to re sell the property but dont want to invest anything into keeping it maintained. We have one behind us the grass is about 7 ft tall, and has been this way for 3 years now...but it has a for sale sign in the window!! I bet they wonder why they cant sell it.. I think its because the potential customers are afraid to venture into the grass for fear of no return...:laughing:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My next door neighbor cuts his grass so low he practically scalps his lawn...yet his 60 feet of road culvert (right of way) out front, aside from his driveway, is four foot high weeds and sumac plants, which is clearly a violation of the regulations here. Will take a pic of my culvert and his in the background. Photo to follow...

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Picture shows my neighbors roadfront culvert, which is in clear violation of local weed ordinance, and another shows lot across the road, another violation.

Pic of field shown part of my back property, about 3 acres. Anybody see 6 foot high WEEDS.....??? :laughing:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 15

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Nope, no height regulation here!

Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead in a garden with grass over 2 inches long, but that is just me! :laughing:

Threads
Picture shows my neighbors roadfront culvert, which is in clear violation of local weed ordinance, and another shows lot across the road, another violation.

Pic of field shown part of my back property, about 3 acres. Anybody see 6 foot high WEEDS.....??? :laughing:

He needs a weedwhacker or a pet goat...:laughing:

LandN

Threads
I would say that in most city neighborhoods there is a grass height limit,but in my area i have seen very few if any get out of hand.in the rural area where i own property there is an 8" height limit . if you choose not to cut it ,it will be done for you at a cost. but the gray area of it all is if there is a height limit of grass/weeds, does it include the entire square footage of the property or what percentage of the property.what if a homeowner has wild flower and/or ornamental grasses planted.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
He needs a weedwhacker or a pet goat...:laughing:

When my dad lived here, he would mow the entire property a few times a year with a bush hog. You can see the ATV trails I mow around my back 5 or 6 acres, the pic only shows half of it. My neighbors kids ride their bikes, go carts, etc back there, and there is an abundance of wildlife, deer, coons, possums, groundhogs, etc. that would not be there if it was mowed.

Oddball

Threads
Hmm, I don't know, but I wish they did or if they do I wish they'd enforce it; at least in the residential areas. There are several people in our neighborhood that let their yards get 2 feet tall or more before they mow, then do a half assed job of it when they do. They leave weeds sticking up right at the curb edge of the yard, don't clean the debris up along the curb, etc. Makes the whole neighborhood look trashy. That's one of the disadvantages of living in a subdivision with no covenants or HOA, but I'll take that over having some busybody neighbor with a Napoleon complex tell me what I can and can't do with my own property. Unkept property turns into a breeding ground for all kinds of wildlife, in urban and suburban areas that ususally means rats and mice, which will invade neighboring properties. My sister in-law's neighborhood has several bank owned foreclosures that have gone to crap, with 4 - 5 foot tall weeds in the yards and small trees popping up all over the yards, not to mention some neighborhood kids breaking in and doing who knows what. The HOA can't get the banks to do anything about the properties, and the county doesn't enforce ordnances in neighborhoods with HOAs, so they're just stuck with dilapidated dwellings causing an eyesore and negatively effecting home values.

Threads
I would say that in most city neighborhoods there is a grass height limit,but in my area i have seen very few if any get out of hand.in the rural area where i own property there is an 8" height limit . if you choose not to cut it ,it will be done for you at a cost. but the gray area of it all is if there is a height limit of grass/weeds, does it include the entire square footage of the property or what percentage of the property.what if a homeowner has wild flower and/or ornamental grasses planted.

Thats a good question i dont know how they handle that here. I do know if they mow it, and you dont pay they get a lean on your property..