Do NOT buy from GXI Outdoor Power

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Question here is who changed the thermostat. If the dealer did on the advice from Ford then they should not have voided the warranty. If the owner changed without authorization then they could nit pick and do it just to be jerks. OF course they are more worried about the EPA fining them instead making the necessary change and getting it re-approved by the EPA. Government bureaucrat policies are sometimes plain stupid. Sometimes the local mechanic has a better idea what is causing the problem than the factory as he dealing with real life problems.

It like my 73 IH PU that the factory 180 degree was too cold and I had water condensation in the crankcase. I went to an 195 degree which resolved the issue. IH later changed the thermostat spec for my 345 engine.

Of course now days the states stick a sniffer up the vehicle butt to see they are meeting the factory preset specs and then demand you make the vehicle operate worst just because someone miss entered factory information.
It was a tractor that would throw engine codes because the tractor with its 160 degree thermostat would never reach operating temp. After around a year of the tractor OEM and the dealer trying different things to fix the issue, they basically told the guy we can't fix it. so the guy changed from the factory 160 to a 180 degree thermostat and that repaired the issue. The mistake the guy made was telling the OEM what the fix was. His reward was lose of warranty.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's funny, i have 2 JD/stihl deslers near me. One is really good at taking care of customers and doing warranty repairs. Family owned and the owner works the sales floor.
The other is part of a group of JD dealers managed from afar. Folks tell me warranty work takes a long time and sometimes a hassle.
Go figure.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It's funny, i have 2 JD/stihl deslers near me. One is really good at taking care of customers and doing warranty repairs. Family owned and the owner works the sales floor.
The other is part of a group of JD dealers managed from afar. Folks tell me warranty work takes a long time and sometimes a hassle.
Go figure.
So you got a couple deslers there. A new term for a dealer I reckon.;)

Or it could like the JD dealer that the Stihl tech couldn't find a bad spark plug in a HS56 hedger or knew how to do pressure/vac test.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Getting back to the lack of proper consumer legislation and very weak government in the pockets of big campaign funders.
We fixed this decades ago with a stroke of the pen so any item can be serviced or repaired by any qualified tradesman ( that is TAFE or University certificates ) without it affecting the warranty unless the OEM can PROVE the service / repair caused a future failure .
We went on to include the use of off branded parts provided that they met the OEM specifications & again the OEM has to PROVE that the aftermarket parts were below the OEM standards and caused the failure .
On top of that from around WWII every thing sold retail in Aust has a manditory 12 month warranty.
Repairs have a manditory 3 month warranty and a repairer has to fix all of the problems or specify what was found wrong & not fixed .
The latter bit came in in 1980 and had a drastic effect on used car sales ( used cars ave manditory 6 months warranty ) .
American consumer laws are the weakest & most useless on the planet because every 2 years the parties have to spend massive amounts of money on election campaigns .
Your parties combined last election spent more on their campaigns than Australia spent on health and we have FREE hospitals for all down here and they were just the mid terms .
This reliance on external money for political power means that shonky operators making defective products like GXI Outdoor can flourish & prosper because the system relies on private people mounting court actions to do the job that the government should be doing .
BEcause of your extremely corrupt & politically biased legal system no one will sue GXI because there is no profit in doing it when they can sue Niki for millions because the shoes you bought did not make you run as fast as Eugine Bolt like the advertisement say it would .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As with a lot of things there is an amount of bluff in warranty claims
Kawasaki tried it on with me when a Z master came in on one cylinder because the rocker retainer had fallen off at 55 hours.
Their first attempt was to void warranty because I had fitted a Stens oil filter , a phone call to my Stens rep ended that one .
Toro then tried it on because I am not a factory trained Toro technician
A phone call to my federal member put that to bed in under a week
Then it was the aftermarket oil I used fault and a refference to the consumer warranty laws ( chapter & verse ) put that to bed.
Finally Kawasaki agreed that it was a factory assembly problem that should have been picked up by the dealer on the first ( in warranty ) service that was not done .
To give Toro due credit a year latter that dealer lost his Toro franchise so this was obviously not a one of event.
I regularly get mowers in that are out of warranty but had been dealer serviced since new only to find the rocker covers have never been removed in the 2 to 5 years since new .
All of the dealer ships around here are owned by a couple of large companies that are of course run by accountants .
All of them except the JD franchise do sloppy work ( if at all ) and are 100% focused on selling new mowers ( @ 100% mark ups ) so train their staff to hoodwink owners into believing that every fault is the owners abuse then offer a discount on an inferiour mower.
Just replaced the belt on a World Lawn Viper ( 100% rubbish mower ) charged the customer 1 full hour ( usually 20 min ) because they are such a bitch to work on .
The dealer gave him a "good trade in" on his Ariens Zoom ( that was perfectly good ) if he bought the Viper which he was told was better than the EZ JD and only 1/3 the price .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, This I agree with about the US politics, Just too much involved and too much A kissing afterwards.

I just a belt a couple on a Bad Boy ZTR that is normal under 1/2 job that took well over an hour because hydros along with the belt idler arm had to partially remove just to get the drive belt pass the pulleys and the frame. Now that I know what a pain it is I will quote 1-1/2 hrs on future Bad Boy ZTR drive belt replacements. Some thing are just not as repair friendly as once were.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
yep
In order to use thinner steel on the tension arm, the tension pulley has a top plate which has to be removed because the belt runs between the pulley & the pivot point .
There is 5/8 of SFA space to start with and the plate is held in with a nut & bolt, not a captive nut .
Three metric bolts & washers on each pulley cover one on the lifter side is also near impossible to access as it is directly under the frame rail , sandwiched between the solid deck support and the deck lift arm so for ay other customer it will be a full hour job, but he is a tradie with a lot of gear that I service .