Do I want a zero-turn mower?

Carl.Cook

Threads
I agree with the post to keep it natural, let Mother Nature maintain it. My ancestors moved into the Appalachian Mountains in the 1830s and we are still here living among the trees. A forester suggested I remove several trees and in five years I would have more shade with healthier trees. He was right! I am no expert but I do suspect you have too many trees to maintain a healthy crop. A good forester could mark what trees to remove to maintain a healthier forest, with fewer trees to trim around, and have more shade. Also, you can mow the weeds/leaves and it should look as good as grass without all the expense of grass. Good luck and remember to maintain it to make you happy, not others.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
I was not going to comment about the density as I am not familiar with US forests.
If that was a local forest then all of the thin trees , if they are the regrowth would be cut down.
I have two forests near the workshop .
Neither get touched
One is more open & the cattle maintain it ( care is required when you walk through it )
The other is totally closed so I made the effort to find out what would grow in the low light and have lots of fragrent herbs & native wild flowers in there
Most Aust wild flowers have tiny flowers and make poor household garden flowers but when viewed in madd from a distance are spectacular .
This forest is 100% self maintaining apart from the odd rabbit, fox or wombat.
During the drought the kangaroos & wallabies did come in and graze on the natives but mostly left the exotics alone.
You can work with nature and enjoy our forest or work against it and become a slave to your forest

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the property fenced?
You might think I’m crazy but, have you thought about sheep or goats? You would have to worry about them getting into any of your plantings.

Mr. Mower

Threads
We bought the lot because of the trees!
Uh....OK.....I can understand that.....but you also bought the problem of cutting the grass along with it.

I like trees as well and have planted a few on my property but always thinking ahead and never to allow them to interfere with me cutting my lawn (I live on over an acre).

I didn't say "remove all of those trees".....just a select few.

If you can live without some of those trees....then like what was previously mentioned....have some of them removed in order to allow proper cutting with a ZT mower.