Do I want a zero-turn mower?

RLW_LT2138

Threads
Background:

We have a wooded lot. It is a little under three acres with probably close to a thousand trees on it. It is on the side of a hill thus a large portion has a 4-to-7-degree slope.

We are currently mowing it with a Cub Cadet LT2138 lawn tractor, which has a 38-inch deck. It is taking over six hours plus string trimming. There are many places where anything wider than the 38-inch deck would not go and we would end up with even more trimming. If the deck were a little smaller, more of it could be mowed leaving less to trim. I had to put lugged rear tires, like real tractor tires, on the cub to handle the wet conditions without getting stuck. The turf tires just didn’t do it.

Our yard is not your typical manicured suburban yard. It is full of trees and fairly ruff. See picture.

I was looking at the small zero-turn mowers from Toro and Hustler as those are the only ones I have found offering a deck of 38” or less.

Questions:

• Is a 7-degree slope too much of a slope for a zero-turn? In many sections of the yard, you are going up the hill while also going along the side of the hill.
  • Due to the constant supply of small sticks and black walnuts, I’m sharping the blades after each mowing. Totally clearing the yard of all sticks and nuts is just not possible! How hard is it to remove and sharpen the blades?
  • Parts of the yard are almost always wet. Will I be able to replace the rear tires with something with a more aggressive tread than the standard turf tire?
  • Will a zero-turn get close enough to the trees that I might not need to use the string trimmer?
  • Do the blade spindles and other deck shafts on these smaller mowers have grease zerks?
IMG_6487small.JPG

bkeller500

Threads
What about a front mount Walker ZT. Might be worth a look! Lots of features.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve got a real headache there. I doubt a Z-turn will save you much time. Depending On you budget, have you considered a stand on mower. Would definitely allow you to get closer to the trees and cut down your mowing time.

clubairth

Threads
I am not far from your situation as I have 4 acres and way more than a thousand trees. I ended up with a ZT mower and a small utility tractor with a front end loader and several other attachments. It's a Kioti with a 3 cylinder diesel all hydrostatic and 4 wheel drive which means it's a dream to drive and my wife can operate it all without any effort. 3 point hydraulic hitch on back with rear and mid mount PTO's. Locking rear differential too.

I know it's more money but I did not understand how much work these small tractor's can do. 12 yards of mulch, 8 yards of top soil done with way less effort and so much quicker. Moving fire wood/debris because if you have a thousand trees you WILL have some dead ones to remove and clean up!

I will say with how your trees are situated that a smaller deck on the ZT might be called for? Or a standing model as suggested above. I just have never used or owned a standing model so have no experience with them. My trees are all mainly in a forest. So the few trees scattered around my lawn area are not that bad especially with a ZT. That thing just flies!

Just something to consider?

Mr. Mower

Threads
Maybe consider having some of those trees removed, thus allowing for more room to actually get a ZT mower (or any other type of mower for that matter) with a large enough deck (like 60"-80") to not only cut the property but also to allow less time cutting?

Yes at first it would be a bit time consuming and maybe a bit of $ having to remove some of those trees but in the long run, it'll make cutting that 4 acre property so much easier and less time consuming.

Last.....invest in a good quality ZT commercial mower with the ability to handle slopes.

If you were to do those things, it would definitely make life a lot better, for you.

Your choice.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why on earth do you want to grow grass that you have to mow regularly with such a beautiful block of forest ?
Make some paths through it where you would usually walk by spraying with round up ( or similar ) and spreading wood chips / river pebbles etc then seed the rest with wildflowers and let nature do all the hard work

RLW_LT2138

Threads
Maybe consider having some of those trees removed, thus allowing for more room to actually get a ZT mower (or any other type of mower for that matter) with a large enough deck (like 60"-80") to not only cut the properly but also to allow less time cutting?

Yes at first it would be a bit time consuming and maybe a bit of $ having to remove some of those trees but in the long run, it'll make cutting that 4 acre property so much easier and less time consuming.

Last.....invest in a good quality ZT commercial mower with the ability to handle slopes.

If you were to do those things, it would definitely make life a lot better, for you.

Your choice.

Just my $0.02

We bought the lot because of the trees!

RLW_LT2138

Threads
Why on earth do you want to grow grass that you have to mow regularly with such a beautiful block of forest ?
Make some paths through it where you would usually walk by spraying with round up ( or similar ) and spreading wood chips / river pebbles etc then seed the rest with wildflowers and let nature do all the hard work
We have to mow it to keep the weed under control. It is just dark enough to limit what will grow. Also a lot of the trees are walnuts, which does not like to share their space. Have you ever delt with black snake root? It comes small burrs which will cover you and the dog.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
But in nature those trees are highly unlikely to have had grass growing around them
Have a long chat to native plant nurseries otherwise you have just made a whip for your own back .
My patch here is mostly hobby farms on plots of 1 through to 50 acres bought by city people who want to "live the country dream"
Just about to the last one they cut out all of the scrub, spend a fortune on getting grass to grow then it becomes a mill stone around their neck and all they ever do is mow it
Some have had a think about some of my suggestion & planted out the excess grass with shrubs again and have never stopped thanking me for pointing them down that path .
Grass is the highest maintenance thing you can put in your yard .
But once they got herbs , bulbs & native wild flowers re-established the yards actually look after themselves
Around close trees we have a prostrate grevillia that will actually grow thick enough to crowd out most grasses and requires near zero maintenance
Depending upon just

Last edited: