Export thread

Dixie Chopper ztr...54 HP!

A_tank96

A_tank96

Saw this not too long ago. A dixie chopper XCaliber Twin zero turn with 2 27 horse Generac engines.....For a total of 54 HP! 74 inch deck, 14 gallon fuel tank, my only question is, isn't this a little bit overboard?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Do you have a picture?

Ric

Ric

I wouldn't want the gas bill on that thing. :eek:

A_tank96

A_tank96

Didn't even think about that! Gas around here is close to $3.50 a gallon. $49.00 To fill it to the top once!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I wouldn't want the gas bill on that thing. :eek:

Yeah, seriously! I wouldn't want to use it commercially or on super large yards! :eek:

It might or might not be overkill, I don't know, but I would think you would need lots of power for a beast like that!

Carscw

Carscw

Can never have to much hp

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

A_tank96

A_tank96

True, but on any commercial mower like a Hustler Super z or something, they have max engines of usually close to 37 Horse power. I imagine they do just fine, and so why would you need 54 horsepower, with two gas guzzling engines instead of one?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

True, but on any commercial mower like a Hustler Super z or something, they have max engines of usually close to 37 Horse power. I imagine they do just fine, and so why would you need 54 horsepower, with two gas guzzling engines instead of one?

So you can mow at 25 mph??? :laughing:

Ric

Ric

So you can mow at 25 mph??? :laughing:

You mite ride that fast if you could stay on the mower :laughing: but you certainly couldn't cut gas that fast.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

You mite ride that fast if you could stay on the mower :laughing: but you certainly couldn't cut gas that fast.

Or at least not cut grass WELL. :laughing:

Ric

Ric

Or at least not cut grass WELL. :laughing:

I never thought about cutting grass that fast, Hey stick a hitch on it and maybe it would pull a trailer :rolleyes: but actually a truck would probably get better gas mileage.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I never thought about cutting grass that fast, Hey stick a hitch on it and maybe it would pull a trailer :rolleyes: but actually a truck would probably get better gas mileage.

WOW than the mower must REALLY get bad gas "mileage" (if you can even say that with a mower) if a TRUCK can beat it! :laughing:

A_tank96

A_tank96

Yeah 25 mph you could like take it to the shopping center. Get quite a lot of odd looks lol.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Yeah 25 mph you could like take it to the shopping center. Get quite a lot of odd looks lol.

Haha yeah! Doesn't have much storage space for your purchases, though. :laughing:

Briana

Briana

Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Dixie Chopper forum. :smile:

J

J&S Lawncare

I dont know why you guys in a uproar about the use of fuel. The 27HP does'nt burn that much fuel. You dont have to run both engines at the same time. One is plenty of power to do the job.

Ric

Ric

I dont know why you guys in a uproar about the use of fuel. The 27HP does'nt burn that much fuel. You dont have to run both engines at the same time. One is plenty of power to do the job.

To begin with the thing is useless for any type of lawn care, so what would you do with it cut a cow pasture? You can't afford to put gas in the thing with a 14 gallon tank and if you don't have to run but one engine at a time why have the other. Now it does have a couple of interesting features about it, like its 2000lb towing capacity and the 19,144 fpm blade tip speed but the feature that really sucks is the fact that my 750lb ZTR will leave ruts, Humm.gif wonder what 1800 plus lbs would do to a lawn.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

....but the feature that really sucks is the fact that my 750lb ZTR will leave ruts, View attachment 12623 wonder what 1800 plus lbs would do to a lawn.

Good point! :rolleyes:

D

dnewton3

I have a buddy that I help mow during the summer season on his farm in KY.

There is logic to these big brutes, buy only for the right application.

He has the predecessor to this model; he has a "SurburinTurbin" with twin Kohler 20hp engines. 40hp seems like an insane amount, but we use this more as a hybrid mower/bush-hog type unit. We only get to mow about once every two or three weeks, and so the grass is TALL at times. It's not the speed we're after; it's the power to turn the blades in heavy wet grass, and up drive some very hilly KY terrain. He also has a DC with a turbo-diesel 50hp from several years ago. These machines really make the work much easier than trying to drive a tractor with a rotary cutter (bush-hog) through all the trees and obstacles.

For mowing a flat school lawn or business, it's overkill. But not on a farm with sporadic mowing and tough terrain. 54hp seems silly, until you need it ...

The Don'z

The Don'z

Saw this not too long ago. A dixie chopper XCaliber Twin zero turn with 2 27 horse Generac engines.....For a total of 54 HP! 74 inch deck, 14 gallon fuel tank, my only question is, isn't this a little bit overboard?

Here is the DC webpage for the big twin: XCaliber Twin | Dixie Chopper
on a personal note,, way too big for what I do LOL

M

man00

You could in the commercials...anything is possible

C

cooper17

I have owned a Dixie Chopper twin since 2000, it has two Kohler 20's and is still going strong. I have used this machine to mow my property and private airstrip, it is simply put the finest extreme condition mower ever manufactured. Yes, I have maintained this machine like my car, and she is kept in the hangar awaiting another day of butt kicking mowing. I have been thinking about getting a new mower and have spoken with John the Dixie Chopper sales rep several times about getting a new chopper with combined 54 horses. I will be purchasing a new unit probably this year and will go once again with the twin from Dixie Chopper. I have a great deal of respect for Dixie Chopper bringing this unit back into production.
My neighbor bought a different brand mower and soon came to the realization that my ole Suburban Turbine would roll their mower up in a ball and spit it out! Thank you Dixie Chopper, your twin is a real beast. Bob

djdicetn

djdicetn

Here is the DC webpage for the big twin: XCaliber Twin | Dixie Chopper
on a personal note,, way too big for what I do LOL

WOW....heavy duty spindles with cooling fans!!! That's HEAVY DUTY:0)

D

dixieseller

View attachment product_images_twin-2013.zip
Do you have a picture?

I have one on order,don't know when it will arrive

J

Jrode1

View attachment 20907

I have one on order,don't know when it will arrive

I have 2 in my shop now, 2014 models. 10-11 hour drive if you don't want to wait for the next production run! :)