Dixie Chopper XT3000 - Blades turn when dis-engaged

sparklequeen

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Dixie Chopper XT3000 - Blades turn when dis-engaged
I have an old XT3000 mower. Every time I try to start it the blades automatically engage. They are not turning at full speed, but they're turning fast enough to blow dirt everywhere. The blades are not engaged. This has been going on for over a year now and I cannot see any reason why this suddenly started happening. The mechanism looks simple enough. Also, I have a battery draining problem, too. Bought a brand new battery, replaced all of the cable connections and I'm still having to jump it off when I want to use it. I bought it used. When it's running it is KING! It's not running much. Any suggestions?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does not have an electric clutch has a manual engage system. Check the triangle plate the one that holds the two idlers and the engage rod goes to it from the engage lever. Make sure it turns freely.There is a grease fitting on it and if it not greased regularly it will freeze up and will not disengage like it should. It just slides up off the pivot post if not frozen up, then you will have to work it off the post clean up post and hole in triangle plate. Worse case scenario the pulleys wear over time and need to be replaced along with a new belt.

sparklequeen

Forum Newbie
Threads
the bearings in the PTO clutch are failing
Does not have an electric clutch has a manual engage system. Check the triangle plate the one that holds the two idlers and the engage rod goes to it from the engage lever. Make sure it turns freely.There is a grease fitting on it and if it not greased regularly it will freeze up and will not disengage like it should. It just slides up off the pivot post if not frozen up, then you will have to work it off the post clean up post and hole in triangle plate. Worse case scenario the pulleys wear over time and need to be replaced along with a new belt.
You're the BEST!!! Thank You!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're the BEST!!! Thank You!
Thank you for your kind words. Awesome machine that is the kind of machine the professional cutters would almost kill to get. You just can't wear them out.