Disabled vet needs help on a D140

bronxmcmullen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a D140 ride on mower. I have a lot of ruts on and uneven land on my property. which i love caring for. due to recent surgery on spine. am unable to handle the bumps. to painful. I am looking to make my JD a smoother ride. any suggestions on a place i can find better seat springs? or Suspension Seat kit? Thanks

semimechanicman

Threads
I own a D140 ride on mower. I have a lot of ruts on and uneven land on my property. which i love caring for. due to recent surgery on spine. am unable to handle the bumps. to painful. I am looking to make my JD a smoother ride. any suggestions on a place i can find better seat springs? or Suspension Seat kit? Thanks
Apart from that, you should lower the back tires air pressure. It will help a lot, so if it is at 10 PSI, lower to less.

Born2Mow

Threads
I have the same land and back issues. The sidewalls on most mower tires are so stiff that lowering the tire pressures is not go to help you that much. Besides, most mower tires are only inflated to ~12psi anyway. It may help a little, but it won't really fix the problem.

1. First place to check is with your JD dealer. Lots of users have similar back issues, and the manufacturer may offer an option that can be fitted to your existing seat. Exmark offers such options for their mowers.

2. Failing that you may simply need to buy another model mower that comes fitted with better seat suspension. Exmark has the Radius-S with the seat independently suspended by 3 soft shock absorbers... but you may not need a 48" mower. Surely JD offers a similar model.

Thank you for your service.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For immediate relief get a foot ball bladder and put it under the seat blown up just high enough to have the seat frame just touching the springs when you are sitting on it .
Dissability shops should have a large range of seat overlays designed for wheel chair bound people to offer better support .

Born2Mow

Threads
There are air-filled motorcycle seats that are orthopedic quality that are sold under the Air Hawk name. Find these on Amazon. There are also air-filled cushions for deer hunters sold at big box outdoor stores, like BassPro. Since air is the perfect spring, these may give you more relief.