Diesel additives for small Kubota engines?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Years ago I owed a diesel pick-up. My mechanic told me that adding Power Service Diesel Kleen additive helped to offset the modern diesel fuel in my older ('84) truck, as well as being good for its injection cleaning properties and the cetane boost. So, my question is do you diesel mower owners (fleet & home) recommend putting in additives to your diesel rigs when you re-fuel?

(BTW... I have a '97 Grasshopper 721D w/ 905hrs)

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
From some information about this subject on a fuel forum at tractorbynet.com....
The best additive that can be put in any diesel fuel today is to aim for at least a 2 percent bio diesel ...
:smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
Years ago I owed a diesel pick-up. My mechanic told me that adding Power Service Diesel Kleen additive helped to offset the modern diesel fuel in my older ('84) truck, as well as being good for its injection cleaning properties and the cetane boost. So, my question is do you diesel mower owners (fleet & home) recommend putting in additives to your diesel rigs when you re-fuel?

(BTW... I have a '97 Grasshopper 721D w/ 905hrs)
Before retiring I was in the trucking business for 42 years.

Cummins will tell you to use a good grade of diesel fuel no additives.
I have run my 430 JD 26 years without additives.

Years ago I had a truck that needed new injectors well actually it needed the whole engine rebuilt but it would miss when started when cold and power service would cure that.

I ran it on power service for another 100,000 miles and sold the truck. :biggrin:

If it runs good then save your money. If it runs poor maybe power service will prolong getting it repaired but eventually you will need to correct the problem.

I don't think using it will harm anything other than your wallet so if it makes you feel like you are doing the right thing go for it. :biggrin:

robert

Threads
Kenny, bio heating oil is not working out too many operating/storage issues and I would guess that bio diesel is much the same...

Black Bart

Threads
Kenny, bio heating oil is not working out too many operating/storage issues and I would guess that bio diesel is much the same...
Probably draws water just like ethanol in gas will.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

I & several others I know are using 2 to 20 percent Bio... Have been for sometime now, in Cat, Perkins, Cummins and Kubota... The longest any of us has stored our fuel is 6 to 8 mts... Never any problems with water & I do watch for signs of it...
I am the only one that had any type of fuel problems, it was very cloudy fuel, temp was below zero f.... and I had 20 percent bio... after diluting down to less than 5 percent bio, fuel cleared up and engine smoothed out... everything back to normal... :smile:KennyV

PS... the most important thing for me, with ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel), is Lubricity.... a 2percent Bio will easily provide it...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ive been a truck driver and heavy equipment operator for 20 years...and have picked up some things...first is your tractor probably isnt turbo charged and runs in a limited rpm range..additives are more for road vehicles under heavy and extreme throttle conditions [towing]...like black bart said...unless problems develop with the fuel system just run as usual......and why arnt GRASSHOPPERS painted green?:laughing:.............p.s...this might be overkill..but heres a link on fuel additives ,if you wish:smile:.......Fuel Additives | Find Information on Fuel Additives at Diesel Power Magazine

Buckshot721

Threads
Been working with Diesels for the past 30 yrs. Never used any cleaners or additives for any of our tractors. Keep your filters changed and save your money. A little maint. goes along way!