Died While Mowing (936404)

GJayB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've read through the posts of the last few years and haven't found any that quite covers my problem.

Yesterday while mowing I ran over a stick (maybe 1/2 inch diameter). I heard the blade strike it. When I looked behind me I saw it sticking up between the frame and the fender/body on the right rear. I reached back and pulled it out, with no resistance to speak of, and moments later the mower died as if it were turned off or was shut off by a safety switch. Although I suspect the stick is somehow to blame, I tried bypassing the seat safety switch but that did nothing. I can't see any obvious loose or broken wires and the plug on the back of the clutch is still plugged in securely. Any idea what might be in that area that the stick could have snagged or anything else that would cause such a problem?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That Hustler model number does not come up.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That Kohler KT740 should be a fuel on the carb. Is it operating (clicking)? Got be careful listening as there are also relays operating at the same time.

GJayB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since no solutions to the problem appeared in the forum, I decided to do some further investigating. Spoiler: The mower is now running, but I'm not sure exactly what happened.

It seems almost too much of a coincidence that I plucked the stick from the rear of the mower and almost at the moment I returned my hand to the right control arm, the mower shut down and would not crank to restart. However, this morning, beginning with the simple things, I checked the master fuse and to my surprise found it was "blown." I replaced it and the mower fired right up. I've had this mower for about six years and it's never blown a fuse before, and I have no idea why it blew this time but so far so good. If it continues to blow fuses, I'll have to try to sort that problem out but so far, so good.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it does help when the OP actually post detailed info which he just added more details then just mower died. The more info we have to easier it is to diagnosis the possible causes.

It like telling us that you have an engine that won't start but we have no idea what engine it is and what the symptoms are. Or like going to the doctor and saying I have a pain but you don't tell him where it is.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Specific's !

Folks....always, always be SPECIFIC and as detailed as possible to your situation and always "double check" when typing in the correct engine numbers, mower model numbers, etc., etc., etc.

It's understandable that individuals come here for help (because that's part of what this forum is all about) but still........problems can't be diagnosed or solved, etc. if (again) specific's and details are not shown and presented.

Just telling it like it is.

$0.02

GJayB

Forum Newbie
Threads
The saga continues. As I described earlier, the problem appeared when I ran over a large stick. The stick popped up between the right fender and the right rear wheel. I reached back while still slowly moving, pulled the stick out, and as I put my hand back on the steering control lever to continue, the motor shut off and would not restart. I towed the mower back to the house and eventually found the master fuse was blown. I replaced it, started the mower, and it all seemed well. That is, until today when I drove the mower out of the garage to begin mowing. As soon as I engaged the mower, the master fuse blew again but now, even after replacing the fuse, the mower does nothing when the key is engaged. Stone dead again.

So now I'm back to my original thought that somehow snagging that stick damaged the wiring. Before I start trying to remove the fender, etc. to look at the wiring I am hoping someone who's had one of these mowers apart and seen how things are laid out in that area might know what wires or other parts under that fender or the right rear of the mower in general is possibly susceptible to damage that would cause an apparent short.

Last edited: