DGS 6500 Motor Will Not Start

m610

Threads
It was running fine last night then acted like it ran out of gas and quit. It probably did so today I added gas and it will not start. I checked:

Fuel - I can see it at the fuel filter.
Spark - I have a handy tool that lets me see if the cylinders are getting spark. Both are. I cleaned the spark plugs anyway.
Air - I'm pretty sure I have plenty of air, but to be sure I removed the filter.
Compression - 120 psi on the right, and a not great 90 on the left. But, it is and old tractor and neither are at zero.

It cranks strong but never fires, not even a puff, even when using starter fluid.

Possibly timing? I have no idea how that is set or checked.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That series came with a Kohler or Briggs engine and we need the engine model and spec numbers. But current I thinking you have a valve related issue.

m610

Threads
Thank you for your reply.

The engine model is a Kohler SV735S.

I found manuals for it. It says compression should be 160 psi, so I am a bit low or did not test under the same conditions. Still, low compression alone shouldn't keep the engine from starting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a pair of new spark plugs
put a SHORT shot of starter fluid down both plug hole & crank the engine
It should fire at least once
If it backfires through the carb or exhaust that suggest a valve problem
If it does not fire at all that suggest an ignition timing problem
You might need to do it a couple of times to get a definative answer
Get back & let us know what happens

m610

Threads
I just did those things. New plugs, correctly gapped, starter fluid in the cylinder, fresh battery, and the engine cranked strong but never even puffed. I pulled a plug and confirmed it was firing, and with a nice blue spark, too.

I'm not a mechanic but I know my way around engines (classic Opels), and this makes no sense. Even if mis-timed I would expect something, even a backfire.

Mike

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not if the intake valves are not opening to allow in fresh air. Fuel can't ignite without oxygen. Or if the ignition is off quite a bit. Pull the rocker covers and check the rockers movement as you may dropped a push rod or two.

m610

Threads
Will do. Give me a half hour.

m610

Threads
Welp, the right side cylinder looks okay, but the left?

I suspect more than a little mis-adjustment is the problem here.

Right: IMG_3669-1024.jpg

Left:IMG_3672-1024.jpgIMG_3671-1024.jpg

m610

Threads
Push rods are bent. The question now it, what was the root cause, and how bad is the damage?

I was given this mower a few years ago. I wonder if I've been running on one cylinder this whole time. Motor ran smooth, but...

Attachments

• IMG_3673-1024.jpg
    IMG_3673-1024.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 2

m610

Threads
The rocker arms on the right side move like they should when I crank the engine.