Deck info

okfine

Threads
I have an older craftsman 917270641 with a 42 inch deck, I have tried to adjust the deck it seems the left side cuts lower than the right side no matter how I adjust the deck. I have adjusted it according to the owners manual. I took the deck off and turned it upside down to see if there was some problem there but I didn't see one. However, I did notice that one side seems to be deeper (or longer) ie I put a straight edge accross from blade to blade and it is far from level, Maybe this is normal but It doesn't make any sence to me how it could cut even. It doesn't appear that anything is bent. If any one has any thoughts on this that would be appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
While you are looking under the deck, look close at the spindles, someone 'May' have replaced One of them with the wrong length...
How much difference is there? Are the pulleys on top level with each other? :smile:KennyV

okfine

Threads
The pulleys on the top appear to be the same distance from the mounting bolt, I measured each one and they are close to the same within a 1/4inch. It appears that measuring accross the bottom of madrel it is off by about an inch but not sure. I will check the part numbers for both mandres to see if they are the same. It looks like one might have been changed because the pulley is not painted black. If that means anything or not. I thank you for the reply

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
A few potential causes and some as simple as a missing pin or misaligned mounting.

Sometimes the blade will get bent by striking something solid and it can bow the blade on the mandrel mount which is not easy to see on first glance.

When you spin the two blades next to each other on the deck, are they flush or is one off? With a straight edge on the blade that is cutting low, does it align with the blade that is higher? If yes, then the deck itself off and needs to be adjusted.

When you put the deck in height position 4, with the tractor parked on a flat driveway, measure the distance from the surface to the edge of the deck at all four corners. While a tilted cutting deck might look ok from one viewpoint, you can have only a corner of it riding low which will scalp one side.

I would guess either a bent blade (or possibly the mandrel itself can be bent in the mount so it's not perpendicular to the ground) but the tests above should zero in on the problem area and then we can attack it from there.

okfine

Threads
Thank you for the help, upon further review there a couple of things that are bent. where the spindle mounts to the deck appears to be bent at one of the bolts and one of the blades appears to be bent at the very edge. Perhaps the combo of things is the reason. Perhaps new blades and some work with hammer will get it close. I bought this mower used so don't know to much history. Thanks again