Deck flush system..

Jim Gronewold

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is a flush system worth the effort.. Adding water under the deck after mowing to help clean it? Yay/ Nay

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you like more possible rust under there then go for it. That is a marketing gimmick. "Let's hook a garden hose up to the deck and HOPE we sell more mowers". Total waste of time plus it makes a huge mess.

slomo

Mower King

Threads
Is a flush system worth the effort.. Adding water under the deck after mowing to help clean it? Yay/ Nay
Negative on deck wash-out systems! They only work half-a$$ed at best and must be used every time you mow or they get plugged up up with dried grass plus...as said earlier, they make a huge mess and you'll get water in your deck spindles eventually and the bearings will be going out soon after.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yea, if used properly. They are not perfect, but will do a decent job. You must use them after each use so that the grass does not dry to the deck. After a good 5 minute flush, you must also running the unit for another 5 minutes to dry the underside of the deck.

wrldtvlr

Threads
I have to side with @mower king on this one, although I will acknowledge that the quality of lawn may be a factor in how well they work. Mowing a well maintained, dense grass lawn and washing out after every mowing, they might be effective. I've got a very dry, dusty 2 acres of native grass with a fair number of squirrel mounds. There's just enough moisture in the grass cuttings to turn the dust into a first class mortar mix. Running a hose to the flush port just makes a royal mess and sets the mud even harder.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IMHO they are a gimmick, designed to rust out the deck & wreck the spindle bearings .
As Rivets mentioned to work properly you have to run them for a long while. OVER GRASS then disconnect and move the mower over a hard surface blade still spinning for a good 10 minutes.
Will only work on fresh wet grass so has to be done each & every time without fail
Makes minimal difference in the performance of the deck
Makes it difficult to clean the debris off the top of the deck and from under the belt covers.
And this is the most important deck cleaning because decks can & do burst into flames from the friction of the belt on the dried grass clippings.

keakar

Threads
the absolute only way i could see using one is if you always cut when the grass is wet and it stays clumped up then its better to clear that out then leave it stay

Mower King

Threads
I have to side with @mower king on this one, although I will acknowledge that the quality of lawn may be a factor in how well they work. Mowing a well maintained, dense grass lawn and washing out after every mowing, they might be effective. I've got a very dry, dusty 2 acres of native grass with a fair number of squirrel mounds. There's just enough moisture in the grass cuttings to turn the dust into a first class mortar mix. Running a hose to the flush port just makes a royal mess and sets the mud even harder.
Yes, we sell some mowers (Cub Cadet) that have these Deck Washout fittings. We try to deter people from using them for several reasons but, some believe they're a great idea....just like mulching kits, a bagger system on an entry level 18hp lawn tractor or running your mower engine at 1/2 throttle is better for your mower. NONE of those are a good idea!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m the odd man out on this subject, but as I said if used properly they do help those who don’t scrap the underside of the deck. We actually ask customers if they think they will be using it. If they say yes we instruct them on how to use to get best results. Use immediately after cutting. Raise the deck to the highest level. Run for at least 5 minutes. Run unit after using for another 5 minutes to dry the underside of the deck. Is it perfectly clean, NO, but if you follow instructions it does a good job.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm old school, so using my scraper is my procedure of choice. I can have mine done before someone gets the wash out done. Before they do the 5 minute drying.

Last edited: