Deck Design ??

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If his was a mulching deck would there not be a panel to close the discharge? r
There should be however, the chute blocker serves the same purpose. Look at some Hustlers, SCAGs, Gravely, and others. Very few of these have full length rounded front baffles. You are going to get a certain amount of grass accumulation on the front of any brand of mower. Blade selection and moisture content of the grass will determine how much accumulation that you get. I get some with my Gravely. I put sharp blades on after every 12 hours of use and clean off the grass accumulation, at the same time. I’ve found that the Gravely OEM standard rolled lift blades, or Rotary brand equivalent, give the best side discharge performance. The worst offender for grass packing on my mower are Oregon Gator G6 blades. They make an absolute mess.
Again, try different blades and see which brand and style gives the best results.
It’s cheaper to experiment with blades than it is to get into fabricating something that may or may not change the results.

RayMcD

Threads
Did you just buy this more recently?
If so, I can kind of see the concern because it's a new toy but either way, I feel there's way too much thought and emphasis but into this situation..
It's a mower, you turn on the blades you drive over the grass and it cuts the grass. That's really all I care about.
Actually, I mostly care that I, or somebody has to do that and that we have to do it so often and it's monotonous, boring and repetitive but I digress...
The only thing about mowing, decks or blades or anything else that bothers me is when I do get around to ~having~ to do it and I do know over the tall annoying grass, that there could be some little stragglers sticking up.
Yes! This bothers even me!!
I don't get the motor out, waste my time, money, effort to run over a width of grass and not have every single square inch of that area grass blades cut!!
I can get a little irate over it.
I sold a couple mowers because of it.
Of course my constant mower count is in the hundreds so that's not saying much but I've had a couple of mowers that despite my best efforts and everyone else's comments, help, suggestions... would just not know without leaving fairly undesirable quality of cut even in my low expectation opinion.
But mulching, discharge, bagging, high lift, OEM, Gator blades, full length sharpened etc...mean little to nothing to me personally.

This does remind me that I have to trim up my front yard sometime this week because it's probably already the worst looking one on the block because you know... I'm the mower guy who fixes mower so my lawn is the worst looking one. Lol.
But I almost look forward to this so I can prove a point.
I have a nearly new snapper 64 volt battery powered mower I think it is 64 volt.
While the only good thing I will say about it is the battery mowers are evolving and eventually they will be more like normal lawn mowers instead of the cheap flimsy narrow plastic proprietary part mowers that they've been for the past 10 plus years.
This mower is exactly like a cheap Murray push mower since Briggs owns Murray and snapper along with many others.
So at least respect that it has normal wheels, normal height adjusters, a normal blade.
But, I do want to prove my point that I've told too many, many customers over the years that most if not all battery mowers on the market won't even cut my front yard on one charge!

Battery powered equipment may be convenient for some but that convenience comes at a sacrifice currently.
That sacrifice is typically in two noticeable areas of duration of cutting time and power.
Sure, if you want to roll your mower over grass that really doesn't need to be cut like someone who gets a haircut every 3 weeks does where you can barely tell but it's just slightly trimmed... Then if you walk quickly enough or the propel moves fast enough, you might be able to do a decent size yard.
But when you mow a yard like I do..
Like many people in my area and across the country do that is above ankle biting dog height....you will not Moe my front yard or the average front yard on one battery.
And this is one of the better battery systems on the market with a pretty good size battery with pretty high amp hour. I will have to check the number on it but it's not like some of these little ones.
Toby, had machine since fall 2020, the mower does an absolutely super job cutting grass. I'm simply trying to make the deck perform better cleaning itself. r

Last edited: