Dealers attitudes

Gcorron

Threads
Seriously, what is it with Stihl dealers?? Are they chosen for their crummy attitudes? Do they have to take a psychological test?

Don't get me wrong, I really do like my Stihl equipment, and having been in business for a long time, I even get that some lawn company is going to get preference, I would too if I were a dealer.

I bought an FS 90 R from an Ace hardware, who is a dealer. A year, or so, later comes a recall on the gas cap. Good thing, mine leaked like a seive. I take the recall notice back to the store. I have no idea where said receipt was since I have had it for several years at this time. The guy accused me of trying to steal gas caps and sell them on eBay. He would not give me the cap. I wrote Stihl, and they sent me my gas cap. Needless to say, I choose to shop elsewhere now.

Fast forward, I went to a local dealer, and purchase a blower last year when mph old one dies, love it.

Go back to the dealer last week and purchase a HS 46 C E trimmer. Love it, works great, MUCH easier on the back than the old John Deere I've had for 31 years. While there, I bought a nylon blade trimmer head for my FS 90, is this the right one? Sure, they're all the same. NOPE, THEYRE NOT. Go back today, oh, we don't carry those for the FS 90, nobody uses that crap! Nice!

Oh, BTW, I need a primer bulb for my FS 90, sure, that'll be $5.00! Seems a bit pricey.

I'm fast running out of dealers, as much as I love my Stihl equipment, I'm tired of standing there with cash in my hand to be treated like some chump or be called a thief, oh, and try to buy parts on line, go ahead.......chump!

I may look like a pigeon because I'm an old disabled guy, but really a little customer service would be nice!

Anyone need a nylon blade head for a FS 40?

George

Mikel1

Threads
Yeah not all dealers are good. I drive to another stihl dealer 15 miles away, great people there. At the local stihl dealer, people there seem arrogant and act like they can't leave from behind the counter to help people.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Can't personally attest to stihl dealers but there is a snapper dealer that's only about 5 minutes away from me that, after going into twice about 15 years ago, I'll never step foot in again. Same reason: attitude. Arrogance. And I've heard the same from others that shop there. I don't get it either but oh well. I'll continue to drive 40 minutes to my favorite shop that doesn't talk down to me, or anyone else, and has a loyal customer base because of that. Hard to beat good old family-owned shops that have been around for 50 years.

Maybe it just comes down to the individual people themselves, not necessarily the company they represent. There's plenty of arrogance out there, I just try to avoid it when possible.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
There needs to be an attitude test they must pass with flying colors before they can become a dealer so the manufacturer doesn't need be concerned why their potential customers are going to the box stores.:laughing:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the past 5 years Stihl has been passing "dealerships" out like candy at a parade. In my opinion they know they have a great product and feel that the product will over rule the salesman. Three new one in our area, all within 20 miles of our shop. Problem is they don't know what they are selling or how to service it. It wouldn't surprise me if you will soon see them in the big box stores soon. All I can say is to find a good servicing dealer, not just one with a Stihl sign on the side of the building. Talk to local landscapers who know where they are in your area. Finally, this type of customer relations is not limited to Stihl, every brand has their 10% who should be allowed to sell anything. Buyer Beware

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the past 5 years Stihl has been passing "dealerships" out like candy at a parade. In my opinion they know they have a great product and feel that the product will over rule the salesman. Three new one in our area, all within 20 miles of our shop. Problem is they don't know what they are selling or how to service it. It wouldn't surprise me if you will soon see them in the big box stores soon. All I can say is to find a good servicing dealer, not just one with a Stihl sign on the side of the building. Talk to local landscapers who know where they are in your area. Finally, this type of customer relations is not limited to Stihl, every brand has their 10% who should be allowed to sell anything. Buyer Beware

They have been in Rural King for about 5 years now, And that is basically a box store with a fake service department. Have a town with a population of 12,000 and 3 stihl dealers including rural king. Another with 6,000 with one dealer and a Rural King. Rural King also sells Husqvarna, So they have to compete with the competition in the same store.

Twindad

Forum Newbie
Threads
The stihl dealer by my is a idiot. I called to see if they have a fs94 in stock he tells me it doesn't exist??? I said it does exist and its on your website.a few days later I go to the store with intentions to buy a 90 or 110 I was asking what he thinks of the 4mix engines he tells me all stihls are 2 stroke it takes 50.1.I said I understand it takes a premix but its a 4 stroke.he didn't believe me I said Google is your friend.I ended up getting a redmax 2460ts from them cuse it felt better in my hand then the 90.when I pay I tell him I would like to buy a 6 pack of oil to extend the warranty, he says that's only with stihl so I grab a brochure for redmax open to page 1 show him the full page add saying that if u buy oil or premix u get extended warranty he says well that's only if you buy it now?????? Uh that's no problem. I don't get how this guy sells this stuff for a living and is so uninformed. I have only been researching for 2 weeks and I knew more then him about what he does for a living

loco-diablo

Threads
Yup.. my Stihl dealer has a bit of an attitude as well! You think they're bad? You should see some of the Harley dealers out there!
They really think their S**T doesn't stink!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As most on this forum know I back the dealers most of the time, but I do know there are better than 10% out there that deserve a different title. My question is, are the majority of the dealer you are talking about selling dealers or servicing dealers? Nowdays the good old hardware stores who used to have excellent service departments have little or no service because they can't find good help. They continue to sell the same lines, because theyalways have. There is a big difference. From the posts I've been reading, I'll bet that most of the bad ones wouldn't know the difference between a two stroke and four stroke. Also, don't blame the equipment as being bad on the dealer. It's like saying all steak is bad because it was prepared by a bad cook. There are a lot of good dealers in all brands, it's just the minority of bad ones who cause the problems.