Dealer Rates

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much is the per hour charge at your Honda dealer for servicing, carburetor cleaning etc?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Perhaps a flat rate system like auto dealers...may take e.g., 2 hours and so charged. Company makes profit by doing it in one hour , or shame on them if it takes 3?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
95% of the dealers I have talked to and work with in this part of the country, are time and material. Really don't know anyone who uses flat rates, because 90% of the time they are too short on time. In this business every job is different, even if you have the same brand and model. That is why make estimates is very tough for everyone. As for Honda carbs, at today's costs, most carbs are cheaper to replace than service.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then how to manage customer relations with unknowns like conditions found only after tear down and/or determining "scrap?" Always overshoot ? Especially since the average customer does not understand.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My old brain does not understand what you just posted??? Quotes and estimates are two different things, and the OP asked if there were specific charges for different types of services. At least that's what I thought. That's why I answered the way I did, maybe I misunderstood. In this area, hourly rates vary from $65-100/hr, depending on the shop, equipment brand and in some cases time of the year. I know of one shop that actually charges more if you want you equipment serviced at the non peak time of the year. Ex. You want your push mower serviced in line in November/December when there is a heavy rush on snowblowers.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hourly rate approx $40ish. Min charge 30 mins

If its service then its menu priced.
Lawnmower is about 2 hours plus service kit plus other parts.
Tractor is 5 hours plus service kit plus other parts.
2 stroke usually 1 and half hour plus parts.
More labour will be charged if extra work is required.
These times includes booking in, raising job card, washing, bench time, invoicing and then booking out.
These prices do not include vat/tax.
Usually from a quick look at the machine you can tell if its worth servicing/repairing.
Usually if something comes in not starting then if its not been serviced recently then it gets done. Easier and quicker.

Repairs then depends on experience of what it is to what we charge.
A cable replace could be an hour or recoil half hour etc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I charge roughly the same in real terms $ 60/hr , min 1/2 hr.
Small shop up the road is $ 90 / hr
Big box & glass fronts $ 120 / hr
Hand tools shops ( Stihl, Echo etc ) charge $ 150 /hr

Being a bit new to the business I charge out repairs at the warrantee scheduled hours + 1/2 for 2 hours or less or + 1 hour on longer jobs.
Strait services are charged out at a set fee.
Commercial mowers 3 hours
Domestic ZTR 2.5 hours
Domestic tractors 2hours
SP walk behinds 1.5 hrs
Push mowers 1 hr

Service while you wait + 1 hr
Overnight service + 2 hours

On site service & repairs drive in - drive out hours except for jobs I have never done before that get a discount,

Add ons
Pressure wash 1 hour
Ultrasonic clean 1/2 hour
parts wash 1/2 hour.
Partially dissasembled or box of bits + 2 hours
Welding 1/2 hour per individual weld
Delivery if parts need to be ordered in $ 20

I work a bit slow and take lots of breaks so this suits me fine and it keeps the shop full which is even better.