Dead spots after winter w/ 2 dogs

Gord Baker

Threads
I believe it is the Ammonia in the urine. Make a 4'x4' area in a corner of your yard cover in crushed stone and train them to do their business there.

sootypipe

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have the same thing happen but to a lesser degree, not as bad of burning. We get it in the summer but not nearly as bad as the winter. It would seem the concentration of your dog’s urine is also very high. You might also check that the water intake of your dog or dogs is adequate and ask your vet about the levels in their urinalysis. Your grass also appears to be super healthy, better than ours, at least in that image, so that also leads me to suspect the urine is very strong. The type of grass you have may also be extra sensitive to over-fertilization. Maybe the soil analysis will show a better pH balance would help. I bought an inexpensive meter (~$20) so I can test my soil’s pH any time in different locations. If it’s already low, it wouldn’t take much fertilizer/urine to burn it I think!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
seed is inexpensive, Flood it well to wash out any excess nitrogen. One thing that concerns me in the photos is that the grass near the dead spots is not growing like crazy. Usually when it is a urine burn the grass outside the dead zone grows like crazy from the excess nitrogen.

Also - if you keep nitrogen high in a yard the dog urine will burn it worse. Don't fertilize as often in areas the dogs frequent. The urine will get broken down by bacteria and become available nitrogen.

personyear

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have no personal or even hearsay experience with this product, but you might look into Dog Rocks. It's a Natural Urine Prevention that you place in the dog's water bowl (or submerge in a water jug that you fill the dog's bowl with). It does not change dog's urine pH, but does claim to remove nitrates. It is not cheap ($40 for 6 months worth from Chewy). I think the other suggestions of sending off a soil test and training the dogs to go in a designated desirable spot are good. I have had about 80% success with taking the dogs to a designated spot, failing when I get lazy and take all four dogs out at once and lose control of the situation.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having had dogs that got bladder stones, and several that got TCC (bladder cancer), I would be cautious about any water additives. 1 in 5 Scotties gets bladder cancer, 1 in 7 Westies, and there are some other high incidence breeds. At this point the research world knows that they are not born with the cancer gene but something changes at an average of around age ten or eleven. 2,4 D is a known carcinogen in dogs but ours has never been exposed to it so that did not cause his TCC. That said, I would error on the side of cautious with any additives that change the dog urine chemistry.

apg1979

Threads
thanks everyone for their help here! so the healthy grass actually does grow strong around the dead spots but here in Wisconsin we're sloooooow getting into spring this year so still in the 30s/40's for temps so its just now starting to grow on us. we'd prefer to not go the additive route for the pups to just not mess with their system if we dont have to. I will definitely mention to the vet thought to get their take but appreciate the idea! how it looks now think theres much of a shot any will grow back on its own? otherwise sounds like our best action plan is like someone said to flush it best we can and reseed and hope for the best? tricky part is this is the best area for us to put the pups on a line to go out for their business so be tough to keep them away w/out some fencing or something. i saw something at the hardware store thats marketed for repairing pet dead spots i was curious if it was gimmicky too

Fox12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another issue may be salt use. Do you use sodium chloride as an ice melt? If you do, sodium may, over time, poison the soil. I had this happen for my WI lawn along the drive and sidewalk where a contractor hired by the previous owner routinely used rock salt as a thaw agent for ice. I took care of the issue by using generous applications of lawn gypsum and mechanical aeration plus watering the affected turf repeatedly to leach out the sodium. I then reseeded and was successful in getting new growth. I do not use sodium chloride to thaw. When I must thaw ice, I use calcium chloride instead. I also switched to use of Milorganite instead of chemical fertilization to eliminate the potential of chemical fertilizer burning of the turf grass.

apg1979

Threads
thats a great point too! in this area we do have a walk way but i almost never use the ice melt or anything since the dogs walk in that area so didnt want it messing with their paws. there as a little bit i've used a couple of times but pretty rare but good to keep in mind for sure! i may give this a try and see if it helps Scotts EZ Seed Dog Spot Repair Sun and Shade - Scotts
i'm looking how long i'd need to keep them off of it though since their lines let them go to either side of the deck so i'd have to either block this w/ a cheap fence setup or somehow shorten the lines to make them go the other way

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
pour a concrete pad and put in a large dog run rather than tie them up.

apg1979

Threads
pour a concrete pad and put in a large dog run rather than tie them up.
we actually let them out from a door that is on a deck w/ 2 open sides to have 2 30' lines that come right to the door so we probably could just block one side or something