Dead spots after winter w/ 2 dogs

apg1979

Threads
We are having an issue the past 2 years after the winter ends/snow melts finding more and more dead spots in our grass in the area's that our 2 female dogs use the bathroom. Throughout the winter we'll pick up the poop within a day but come spring this has been getting worse each year. It does not seem to happen or get worse any other time of year so only during snow fall (maybe w/ the snow packed down in that area paired w/ the dog urine?). Wondering if anyone has any advice? we tend to stay pretty minimal w/ treatments on our grass having small kids and dogs so hoping to keep it as non-invasive as possible . thank you fo the help!

IMG_20220424_174918 (2).jpg

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
that could be fungus too. You might consider doing two soil tests, one in the dead area, and one farther out in the green, and comparing them. We water the area our female dog goes with the hose for 10 - 15 seconds so to dilute the urine. It contains high amounts of nitrogen which can kill grass. But fungus does that too, and in your photo the damaged area is in the shade so it may be that the soil has different chemistry and organisms in it. I use Waypoint in Memphis TN for our soil tests. It is in the $20 - $25 range per complete test. We send the samples USPS. Use a soil probe or shovel to dig the sample and put in a plastic baggie. Label each with what it is. I use the "S3M with nitrate-N" test.

apg1979

Threads
thanks for the input! i'll check that out! that area gets good sun in the morning until about 1pm and then shade. those spots are exactly where the dogs go so i'm thinking its related to the urine/nitrogen like you said. weird that it ONLY happens after the winter though. if that is what is going on , any advice how to treat it after the fact to repair the spots that are there now? once its in better shape i'll definitely look at how to handle it better next winter then

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
How long does the snow stay on the ground?

apg1979

Threads
How long does the snow stay on the ground?
I'm in Wisconsin so usually from December-March'ish.... One other thing that could be part is these are the area I shovel the heavy stuff so it's only a couple of inches (so they have a spot to go) so didn't know if it being matted down snow that's making it worse

apg1979

Threads
also in case it matters, the past 2 winters in Wisconsin we get decently cold weather starting in mid november/early December and dont get any snow really until very late December/early Jan so ground would be frozen probably by first snow fall i'd bet

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
when does it die? The only other thing I can think is that the dog's urine freezes then thaws all at once. If that is the case you might try flooding the area with water when the thaw starts. Otherwise you have to water it until the excess goes away or the bacteria break it down and reseed. Or you can put something else there that doesn't have plants in it like path fines and put a walk thru it in to the grass

apg1979

Threads
as much as i can tell at the beginning of winter its fine and then come spring when everything melts we see the new dead area's. like i said in that area its where the dogs leads let them go and when we get bigger snowfalls i'll shovel just the top layers off so its not quite so deep for them (and easier for me to cleanup the mess )

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
next year try flooding the area with sprinklers or a hose with lots of water anytime there is melt to help dilute the urine concentrated in the snow. If we don't hose the area our female dog goes in each time for 20 - 30 seconds it burns.

apg1979

Threads
yup i'll have to try that next winter. thanks for the tip! i'm hoping some of it might come back this year if i leave it but given how it looks probably looking like only option is to reseed that whole area , hey?