Dana/Spicer 4360-55 locks up in lower gears

ooops

Threads
I use a length of all thread with a nut on one end so the gears & spacers slide off the shaft directly onto the rod
Then I degrease them, & do a visual inspection 1 at time before sliding back onto the shaft
Double on Rivets warning , they are Sharp and blood will rust steel & dezinc brass quite efficiently
Where possible I use 00 or 000 liquid grease and live with the slight seepage as it remains liquid
Another tech I know uses chain boiling grease which is lanolin with graphite .
The lanolin melts at a very low temperature so sloshes around and lubricates beautifully then as it cools down it solidifies to the consistency of bentonite axel grease so does not leak out when not in use .
Thanks for the info. I hope to stick with 4300, if I can find it.

ooops

Threads
I have viewed a few hours of videos. None (that I've found) address breaking down the brake/shift shaft. IMO the most intricate one.
Getting ready to "wing it". :( I guess.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a parts diagram for your tranny. To make it easier to understand will you please use part numbers and/or names so we know exactly what part or location you are talking about. This will make it less confusing and easier to answer your questions. Also, please make you don’t lose part #3, detention ball, as they drop out into the grease and you won’t know it’s missing until after assemble and try to use the unit. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/403128/Dana-4360-55.html

ooops

Threads
My 1st step was remove screws/springs/balls. 3, 4, 5. Per prev. advice.
This step is asy. #'s 19 thru 72. Plan is to remove parts, 19/11/20/21. Hopefully to find & remove grease buildup. Hope not to find damaged shift keys or ?
Then check this assy. for movement of shift keys and gear selection.
Have not found Spicer 4300 grease. Located Tecumseh 788067C. Both bentonite.
Thanks for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve used Tecumseh bentonite only in both Peerless and Foote units with no problems. Don’t be afraid to use most of the tube before reinstalling the cover and install the detent ball after closing the cover. Post a picture of the shift keys as to an untrained eye they may look good, but should be replaced. Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions as you’re going through the unit, as I would always instruct my students, BETTER TO ASK A DUMB QUESTION THAN MAKE A STUPID MISTAKE.

ooops

Threads
Disassembled as planned. Did not find a blockage of grease in the shift key/guide channel. - 4 grooves in the shaft.
Grease was dry in that area. Grooves uniform and smooth. I will replace keys (as is said "abundance of caution") and previously suggested parts.
Tecumseh grease is on order.
ANY suggestions on parts suppliers, Spicer/Dana 4360-55 to Peerless 920 or 930 series parts cross reference greatly appreciated!!
THX!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any good repair shop which handles Tecumseh repair parts can get you Peerless parts. I don’t know who might be a Spicer/Dana distributor anymore.

ooops

Threads
I followed all above suggestions. Thanks!
Other than old/dried grease, only 1 potential problem. One of four clutch keys was de-formed.
Keys NLA, and newer models only use 2 keys. I reused it.
Done, operating great!
THX again for the guidance.

Attachments

• IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 0

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this problem does reoccur, take your bad key to a good repair ship who handles Tecumseh/peerless parts. I’ve found that most parts are interchangeable, just have to do a side by side match.