D100 (maintenance and repairs)

biodiesel

Threads
that's fine... most key's come off and people don't realize it, then they put it back together and have no forward or reverse.
just put the key back in the slot and put the wheel on.

Thank you. That's good news. I can see how someone could easily lose the key, especially if they aren't working on a nice clean garage floor. I heard the key hit the concrete, otherwise I wouldn't have known, either.

biodiesel

Threads
I ordered new brake pads and a new disc. I replaced the pads, but I'm going to continue to use the factory disc. I'll save the replacement disc for future use.

08l8blK.jpg

wJBzdBM.jpg

yhAoRS0.jpg

biodiesel

Threads
The D100 is getting closer to being fully operational. The brake parts got cleaned, new pads installed, anti-seize applied to the dowel pins, and everything is back together. I need to check the brake adjustment, otherwise, the brakes are fully functional for the first time in a few years.

Tkn09u8.jpg

I74shjj.jpg

03X0bkG.jpg

ocRhrA3.jpg

Iax1TMc.jpg

MHa2OFt.jpg

uvwpxld.jpg

5bLDeLb.jpg

biodiesel

Threads
This may be a stupid question, but is there any reason why I shouldn't apply grease to the axle allowing the wheels/keys to slide easier?

w5BGlDu.jpg

EeBZSbt.jpg

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only reason the axle needs grease is to prevent rust .

Your mower has never had the rack and pinion gears teeth greased and the pinion gear bearing has never been oiled . Your manual will never mention that . John Deere would rather you bring it to them for that repair for 3-4 hundred bucks .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Used anti seize compound on those rear axles; unless, you like changing tires with the wheels still on the mower. The mower I got in used here has the wheels stuck on so I had to dismount the tire while the rims are still on the mower. A real pain to do.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
i'd like to see a small application of anti-seize smeared around the brake rotor spline too . i've had to make a puller to remove those .

Attachments

• brake rotor 10-14-05.jpg
    brake rotor 10-14-05.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
like Star said, I use Anti Seize.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have anyone determined you're being taken for a ride on this post ?

biodiesel

Threads
Used anti seize compound on those rear axles; unless, you like changing tires with the wheels still on the mower. The mower I got in used here has the wheels stuck on so I had to dismount the tire while the rims are still on the mower. A real pain to do.
I was surprised when I pulled the wheels and found the axle dry of any lubricate, which made me stop and ask the question. I will apply some anti-seize or grease to the axle.