CV461S Stopped running.

joea99

Threads
Those kinds of shop tend to be few and far between in this part of US. Australians seem to be a bit more willing to fix what they got than here.

If helicoil will hold for this repair, I see kits on Amazon that are fairly inexpensive. For the solid inserts, do you use the Time Sert "head bolt" kit, or their normal kit? Or something else? I have a couple of the cheaper timeserts but not in this size.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have about a dozen different brands of inserts
In solid I have time certs' lock certs, new thread E-Z Loc , Fastenal and a couple of bronze kits with no brand name on them
Some have the locking keys some don't.
For metric I am going to towards a things called a threadnut which has a small hex in the top so you drill & tap either 1 or 2 sizes larger then thread the insert in with an allan key & some loctite.
A lot easier system and you don't need expensive custom taps or insertion tools
Down here every service station mechanic will have a full set of metric & Unified helicoils at least.
As for mower repair shops go to be around 30 who post regularly on here.
Mind you 30 across the entire continential USA would be a bit thin on the ground.
Heck we even have 2 mobile thread repairers and a mobile electro errosion van for removing broken bolts
Surely in the land of the entrepreneur you must have some over there
The thread man charges $ 90 call out + $ 10 for each additional insert .
Called him in to do plug inserts on the rear holes on the shadow & while he was there he did about 1/2 dozen motorcycle heads

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A long while back in Lexington was a shop that could blast out the metal, and leave the old threads intact. I cannot remember what the machine was called.

joea99

Threads
I have about a dozen different brands of inserts
In solid I have time certs' lock certs, new thread E-Z Loc , Fastenal and a couple of bronze kits with no brand name on them
Some have the locking keys some don't.
For metric I am going to towards a things called a threadnut which has a small hex in the top so you drill & tap either 1 or 2 sizes larger then thread the insert in with an allan key & some loctite.
A lot easier system and you don't need expensive custom taps or insertion tools
Down here every service station mechanic will have a full set of metric & Unified helicoils at least.
As for mower repair shops go to be around 30 who post regularly on here.
Mind you 30 across the entire continential USA would be a bit thin on the ground.
Heck we even have 2 mobile thread repairers and a mobile electro errosion van for removing broken bolts
Surely in the land of the entrepreneur you must have some over there
The thread man charges $ 90 call out + $ 10 for each additional insert .
Called him in to do plug inserts on the rear holes on the shadow & while he was there he did about 1/2 dozen motorcycle heads

I don't see a way to find those shops on this site.

Anyway, ever used helicoil for head bolt holes and have them hold? The only hex drive inserts I find are made for use in wood.

If I can't do the entire repair for $100 USD, or so, time to scrap it. An old mower I've already rebuilt the deck twice. Sadly, just this spring.

joea99

Threads
A long while back in Lexington was a shop that could blast out the metal, and leave the old threads intact. I cannot remember what the machine was called.

I'll give drilling and extracting a try. But I think there is a lot of aluminum bound up in the threads. I guess it is possible I can get them out and have enough thread left to clean up and get a good bite on.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have carefully drilled them out just a hair smaller, and picked the metal out of the block's threads. But I was a lot younger with a steadier hand.

joea99

Threads
I have carefully drilled them out just a hair smaller, and picked the metal out of the block's threads. But I was a lot younger with a steadier hand.

I heard THAT. I'm more concerned about any aluminum that comes out with the bolt. Right now we've have thunder boomers rolling around making it unbearably humid to work outside.

Now, I'm assuming the head bolts thread into aluminum and not inserts, from the factory.

Do you know if heli coils only come in one length? McMaster-Carr shows up to 20mm length for 10x1.25

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes I would rework the threads as the galled threads will not hold to spec torque.

Do you know if heli coils only come in one length?
They come in several lengths. The M10-1.50 helicoils range from 10 to 30mm in 5 mm steps. Tool kit not too bad at $50 but it only comes with 15mm inserts and you would need to order the desire length inserts but the tool kit only has a thru hole tap, if you need the bottom tap (closed hole) that is another $40. Of the prices are from my source of the Helicoil items.

I waited ten years before getting my first Helicoil kit but I already use it 3X this year; but of course, it is a 5/16 version.

joea99

Threads
Yes I would rework the threads as the galled threads will not hold to spec torque.

They come in several lengths. The M10-1.50 helicoils range from 10 to 30mm in 5 mm steps. Tool kit not too bad at $50 but it only comes with 15mm inserts and you would need to order the desire length inserts but the tool kit only has a thru hole tap, if you need the bottom tap (closed hole) that is another $40. Of the prices are from my source of the Helicoil items.

I waited ten years before getting my first Helicoil kit but I already use it 3X this year; but of course, it is a 5/16 version.

Looks like I could get away with the regular tap. Still struggling to get the bolts out, but drilling through one of them shows there some kind of gap at the end of the threaded hole. At least the penetrating fluid I spray in there flowed out the "blind end". That was a desperate last gasp attempt to use an extractor on the bolt. Bits of it did break off and came out, but some remain in there.

joea99

Threads
Finally got around to drilling out the broken bolts. I had to 3d print a "guide" to help me drill as "square" as I could. Spend about 20 minutes using a HF drill bit on the first one. Only got part way through went it stopped cutting. Went to Lowes and got a Dewalt bit.13/32 and was done with both in under 5 minutes. Like cutting in wood,

Anyway,the Helicoil kit I'm getting has 15mm inserts. I wonder if those are long enough, or if I should go with 20mm or longer?

Edit - I just made an attempt to determine the length of the threads on the remaining bolt holes and they seem to be about 30mm long, starting about 6mm below the block surface. Should I go that long? Come to think, can I actually sink the helicoils below the block surface, or will the tool not allow that? Do I resort to drilling out the first few threads?

Last edited: