Cub cadet XT2

Punch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having a problem with the engine dieing when I start cutting grass. The engine running fine and runs fine when I engage the deck but the minute I start cutting grass the engine dies. I've also noticed when I disengage the gears and try to push it it's almost like it's still in gear. Any help is appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you cleaned underside of deck, removed blades & dressed up with a file, balanced blades reinstalled & torqued to specs. in Operators Manual? Do you cut grass when dry in the afternoon? Full throttle before engaging PTO for mowing? Are you pulling rod at back of tractor all the way out to disengage transaxle before pushing tractor? Check tires for correct psi per Owners Manual.

Last edited:

Punch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you cleaned underside of deck, removed blades & dressed up with a file, balanced blades reinstalled & torqued to specs. in Operators Manual? Do you cut grass when dry in the afternoon?
Yes the deck is clean and the blades were sharpened and balanced at the beginning of the season. Usually mow in the late afternoon. Just finished an overhaul of the fuel system. Replaced the filter, pump and carburetor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A twin cylinder mower that drives fine then karks it when you try to mow is a classic symptom of running on one cylinder
You confirm this by starting the engine then pulling off alternative spark plugs.
If both are working the engine should slow down slightly the same amount when either lead is removed
If there is no difference on one side & it dies on the other then the no difference side is not working .
Usually that side will also have a wet or carbon fouled plug.

Next step is to work out if it is just a bad plug , electrical or fuel related.
WFIW I find a lot more V twins with a bent push rod or pushrod fallen off than a duff magneto
On B&S twins the usual electrical cause is a bad diode on the kill wires but you should have a Loncin where the diodes are internal and rarely give grief

However it does not hurt to swap the magneto coils and with a fresh pair of plugs see if the problem shifts to the other side indicating a bad magneto .

And don't forget it could be as simple as a bad plug on one side , checked by swapping plugs left right and seeing if the problem also swaps sides .

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome! I'm moving this thread over to our Cub Cadet section so we can keep it going.