Cub Cadet trans conventional mower slips

soundtechmike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know i need model but when i thought to post this i cant remember the model. it has a 54" deck. its a conventional tractor not a zero turn. problem is that it works fine for about a half hour then it will start slowing down more and more till it finally won't move anymore. Let it sit for 20 minutes then it goes again fine for abot 20 minutes then starts slowing down again. i bought a used transmission from a repair guy around here and put it in with new 20-50 oil thought that would fix it ... It does the exact same thing. And yes has new drive belt and i checked to make sure the brake was not hanging up. is this a common problem with these hydro gear transaxles. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.!

soundtechmike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark, didn't find any info on Hydro gear, I'll try and find Hydro Gear service manuals

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well without the mower actual model number it is a guess but it could have a plastic v-idler in the drive belt path. IF so it is probably worn out and the drive belt is bottoming in the groove and this can cause belt slippage, even new belts can slip when these are worn.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Park it on a hill
Turn off the engine
Release the parking brake
Give it a push
If the hydro is in a good condition it will be hard to push & stop when you stop pushing
IF the hydro is deceased it will race away like Mulga Bill's bicycle the instant the brake is released

superdave77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had same problem on my SLT 1054, I replaced the transmission unit.

Jack17

Threads
...put it in with new 20-50 oil thought that would fix it ... It does the exact same thing.
The rotary hydro pump housing mating surface has some scratches in it. Flushing out 20W oil to, say, 40W won't make any difference. Ask me how I know it? How to fix it? You must resurface the mating surface where the rotary pump meets with it. Also, check all pump piston return springs, make sure that none of them are broken.