Cub Cadet RZT50 mower with Kawasaki Engine FH661V-AS05

shadowcat

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet RZT50 mower with Kawasaki Engine FH661V-AS05
I would like instructions on how to check the valve clearance on my Kawasaki engine, and if valve clearance is not correct ,how to adjust them correctly. I watched a few do it on U_TUBE but on different engines.Doesn't look too difficult but need infor for my Engine
Thanks--Shadowcat
Thanks for your reply Arwing64

shadowcat

Threads
Thanks for the reply on my topic.
I have a manual but what I am looking for is : Does my engine need to be exactly at TDC ,and if so ,
how do I know I am at TDC. Are there marks to line up with to be TDC? Also which is the intake and is it the same on both sides of engine?
My manual says valve clearance should be the same for intake and exhaust,(0.004-0.006 in).Is it best to get feeler gauge
(0.005 in) to set clearance at? Are the intake and exhaust both checked for clearance at TDC or is it different?
As you can tell I am a novice at doing this so I need all the help I can get.
Thank You
Shadowcat

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the reply on my topic.
I have a manual but what I am looking for is : Does my engine need to be exactly at TDC ,and if so ,
how do I know I am at TDC. Are there marks to line up with to be TDC? Also which is the intake and is it the same on both sides of engine?
My manual says valve clearance should be the same for intake and exhaust,(0.004-0.006 in).Is it best to get feeler gauge
(0.005 in) to set clearance at? Are the intake and exhaust both checked for clearance at TDC or is it different?
As you can tell I am a novice at doing this so I need all the help I can get.
Thank You
Shadowcat

Engine cold, remove both spark plugs & valve covers, gently insert long dull screwdriver or plastic straw in spark plug hole, both hands on engine screen, rotate engine clockwise from top until piston is at top or TDC, both rocker arms should be loose if you're on correct stroke, if not, rotate with both hands on top of engine screen until piston is at top TDC again and both rocker arms are loose, valves closed, now you're ready to check & adjust both valves, intake & exhaust, this procedure works for both sides. It may be easier if you have a helper. I would set them at 0.005 with feeler gauge, if adjusted correctly you will feel a slight drag on feeler gauge when inserting gauge between rocker arm & valve stem end. Your local auto parts store should have feeler gauges, just make your feeler gauge size is in pack.

shadowcat

Threads
Engine cold, remove both spark plugs & valve covers, gently insert long dull screwdriver or plastic straw in spark plug hole, both hands on engine screen, rotate engine clockwise from top until piston is at top or TDC, both rocker arms should be loose if you're on correct stroke, if not, rotate with both hands on top of engine screen until piston is at top TDC again and both rocker arms are loose, valves closed, now you're ready to check & adjust both valves, intake & exhaust, this procedure works for both sides. It may be easier if you have a helper. I would set them at 0.005 with feeler gauge, if adjusted correctly you will feel a slight drag on feeler gauge when inserting gauge between rocker arm & valve stem end. Your local auto parts store should have feeler gauges, just make your feeler gauge size is in pack.

MARK; Thank you so much for the instructions. I just have a couple of questions yo ask.
!- Do or should I get new gasgets for the valve covers?
2- Once I find exact TDC do I turn 1/4 inch more or leave at TDC then adjust valves?

Thank you
shadowcat

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
MARK; Thank you so much for the instructions. I just have a couple of questions yo ask.
2- Once I find exact TDC do I turn 1/4 inch more or leave at TDC then adjust valves?

Thank you
shadowcat

If valve cover gaskets are not leaking, torn, brittle, or damaged reuse them. Absolutely, 1/4" past TDC.

gregmartin

Threads
You can also make your own valve cover gaskets, it faster and cheaper and I've and no leaks. ?
Just use the gray gasket material you can get anywhere.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Permatex's "Ultra Black" RTV silicone gasket maker.. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the exception of engines that do not have gaskets fitted like a lot of Kohlers I take it as a matter of pride that silicone never touches any engine I work on.
There is a second reason for this because if I have done an engine for a customer once then chances are I will be fixing it next time and nothing is more time wasting than removing 200 Kg of silicon applied with a calking gun by a bull s..t wanna be mechanic.
As for your rocker gasket the rule of thumb ( nail ) test is just that.
Roll your thumb nail into the gasket, if the gasket recovers it is reusable if you leave a crescent crater in it , then bin time. they are not expensive and easy to make your own. ( I make most of my own )
Coat the cover & cover side of the gasket with some thing like blue hylomar and the other side with high tempeature wheel bearing grease ( thin coating, you should be able to see the gasket through the coatings.
By doing this the next time you check the valves the gasket will stick to the cover & strip clean from the engine.
A little bit extra now saves a lot in the future.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thank you
shadowcat

I stand corrected, adjust valves at TDC, page 2-17 in manual that I posted, if gaskets are not torn or brittle reuse them. Let us know how it goes. I had to re-read manual for valve adjustment, sorry, my mistake.