cub cadet maintanance and fluids

jeepguy181

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, first cub cadet. model 2206 I recieved for free. Needs quite a bit of work if I was going to fix it up to look nice as well as running nice. But only interested in running nice for now.
As far as history that I know is that it sat for x amount of years. Air filter looks clean. Naturally it's going to get oil change, trans tune up, and spark plug. My question is I'm very limited on small engine repair let alone any size. I read it's not very easy to drain the trans. I did find the trans filter, where is the drain plug on it? Or is it reccommended to just take the simple way out and suck the fluid out, change filter and refill the trans? How many plugs are in them? Where are they located and how many are there? (only other strongest mower I owned is a 12 horse power. No where near 20 horse power.) What's the easiest way to change the oil? pull the side panel on the left side next to the hood? I saw the filter there. How is the Kowler engine? Always thought the briggs and straton was the best out there.
I'm working on a very limited budget esspecially with winter only couple months away and only having seasonal work. Any help would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 2000 series Cubs would go close the being one of the best all round mowers ever built, tough as nails and almost indestructible.

Bad news is MTD has discontinued support for them so 2000 serices specific parts will only get harder to find.
I started a war last time I mentioned that deck spindles are NLA from the warehouse so as the shops run out of stock that is it.
It is possible to modify currect MTD decks to fit, but they are only about 20% as strong as the original deck.

You ill find most of the information about your mower and the transmission on this site "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts" just find your models on the relevant pages & download them.

Posting your mowers serial number and also the thpe and model nuber of the transmission will help the people on this list help you better.
The only part I had had difficulty finding were bonnet panels and deck spindles and I have around 20 2000 series Cubs on my books now as I keep buying up old ones and reselling them.
They are fantastic mowers and well worth the effort of repairing .
Once fixed properly they wil give you at least twice the service life of any new mower out of the AYP factory as they were built as a light compact tractor designed to run rotary hoes, disc ploughs, snow blades & throwers, not just a mowing deck.