Cub Cadet / Kawasaki FR730V engine stalls and dies...

wanoyee

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet / Kawasaki FR730V engine stalls and dies...
I have a zero-turn CC Z-Force SZ48 with Kawasaki FR730V engine... Started having problems a couple weeks ago when it would stutter/sputter then die after running for ~20-30 mins. If I waited a while, 15-20 mins, it would start up again and then run for a while again, then die again. Talked to someone at the dealership who thought it could be the ignition coils. So I replaced the coils... But it still does the same thing.

Friend said it needs to have the jets cleaned. So I have the air filter off and am looking inside the bowl but can't really see the jets the way the carb is designed. Have sprayed carb cleaner into it and run it just idling. Not sure this solves the problem.

I've looked for vids of disassembling the carb but cannot find any! Any links on how to disassemble and get to the jets? I'm new to the small engine kind of thing... Any help is appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is firing right back up after dying or does it have to sit a while?

Also note once you start taking hte carburetor apart new gaskets will be need and I not talking about the bowl gasket either.

wanoyee

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has to sit a while... Which made me think coils.

Well, I did figure out how to get the carb off... duh. Cleaned it as well as I could. Really didn't look dirty at all. Put everything back, fired it up and started mowing. About 10 mins later it starts to sputter, then dies.

I'm guessing that maybe the fuel pump is the problem? Don't know what else it could be...? Oil looks good. Just got it back from service in June.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
grass clippings get into the fuel tank.
Fuel replaces the water in the clippings and they become almost transparent.
Even worse they end up being the same density as the fuel they are in so they float around.
When the mower is running the movement of the fuel sucks them into the outlet where they effectively block it off.
Engine stops so the flow stops so they float away , ready to do the same again next time & drive you crazy.
Easy check is to get an alternative fuel tank from some where and the instant the engine stops hook it directly to the carb .
Engine fires right up confirms fuel blockage
It might surge a little because the carb is set for fuel pump pressure & not gravity pressure.
However if it runs through that tank, repeat but hook the substitute tank to the pump
Mower runs fine = bad fuel lines or blockage in tank.
Makes no difference , bad pump or blown head gasket .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing I would do is to pull the fuel line off. Separate the fuel line from the inlet side of the fuel filter and drain off some of the gas from the tank. Do this after your machine has been sitting overnight. While doing this, go ahead and replace the fuel filter. Here is the filter that I recommend.
Also, make sure that your oil level is correct.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It will take time to find it. Here I even had a fuel line the inner liner came loose and was collapsing during operation on my personal mower. It took a while to narrow it down to the bad line.

wanoyee

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first thing I would do is to pull the fuel line off. Separate the fuel line from the inlet side of the fuel filter and drain off some of the gas from the tank. Do this after your machine has been sitting overnight. While doing this, go ahead and replace the fuel filter. Here is the filter that I recommend.
Also, make sure that your oil level is correct.
Yes... I did check the fuel filter and oil level. I have noticed that the fuel filter seems low... Like there's not a lot of fuel in it. But there is some... Normal? Or should it be filled pretty good?

My next step is to take the fuel lines off and inspect/change the fuel pump. My mower also has 2 fuel tanks. I may just see if the 2nd one works without stalling.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
“Yes... I did check the fuel filter and oil level.”
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
You said that you have two fuel tanks. That usually means there is a three way valve. There is a fuel line from each tank going to that valve and one line going from the valve to the filter. Pull that fuel line between the valve and the filter and drain some of the fuel from the current tank. Toggle that valve between off and the current tank. Do the same thing with the other tank and put on a new filter while you have the line off. Just looking at a filter ain’t going to tell you whether there’s a problem with the filter or not.

wanoyee

Forum Newbie
Threads
“Yes... I did check the fuel filter and oil level.”
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
You said that you have two fuel tanks. That usually means there is a three way valve. There is a fuel line from each tank going to that valve and one line going from the valve to the filter. Pull that fuel line between the valve and the filter and drain some of the fuel from the current tank. Toggle that valve between off and the current tank. Do the same thing with the other tank and put on a new filter while you have the line off. Just looking at a filter ain’t going to tell you whether there’s a problem with the filter or not.
Fuel filter was changed in June...

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There can be trash in the valve or in the line between the tank and the valve.