Cub Cadet 2135 Rear Tires - When to replace

greynold99

Threads
When should you start thinking about replacing the Rear Tires on a Cub Cadet lawn tractor? I have a 16 yr. old HDS2135 and I looked around to see what the price of rear tires would be - turns out there around $150.00/apiece.
Why are they so much more expensive than equivalent non-OEM tires; which can be had for $60-$100 in the same size (20X9.0X8 and similar turf tread)?
My old tires aren't bad, a little worn but I wondered if they would dry rot out after so long and leave me stranded when needed.
thanks,
greynold99

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
When should you start thinking about replacing the Rear Tires on a Cub Cadet lawn tractor? I have a 16 yr. old HDS2135 and I looked around to see what the price of rear tires would be - turns out there around $150.00/apiece.
Why are they so much more expensive than equivalent non-OEM tires; which can be had for $60-$100 in the same size (20X9.0X8 and similar turf tread)?
My old tires aren't bad, a little worn but I wondered if they would dry rot out after so long and leave me stranded when needed.
thanks,
greynold99

I do not know why they are so much more. I personally would go with non OEM as you can get them through your local Ace hardware store for $55.00 each. Its not like you are going to be going 50MPH down the highway on them. If you just wanted to put tubes in them you could get tubes for about half of that price. I believe Home depot and Lowes also sell the tires with rims already mounted for not much more than Ace.

Kenwells

Forum Newbie
Threads
My rear tires would no longer hold air tubless. Put in tubes and trouble free the past 5-6 years. I did have to replace the front tires with aftermarket equivalent.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I still have the original Rear tires on My mid 1970's Cub Cadet And on my 1957 Cub F model... These tractors have spent More than half their life outdoors in all weather... Good tires last Decades.

If you use the correct and complete tire nomenclature, you can find replacements on line very reasonable, about 1/5 the price you have listed... But like with all parts, you will have to learn what is important in their specifications and try to get closer to the source... rather than trying to locate at the nearest retail outlet....
The most direct answer to your question would be: Replace them when needed... I May replace the rear tires on the Cub F next spring/summer... after 55 years they still are great... but next year might be their last... :smile:KennyV