Repairs Cub Cadet 18m wont stay running

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought this used last season. Used it about 3 times and it ran/cut great. Now it wont stay running.
It will turn over with stating fluid, but will immediately die. There is also a loud knock when it turns over.
I used new gas, changed the oil, replaced the fuel line and filter and cleaned the carbourator.

Here is a link to a video that shows what is happening.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq8s4c19d9afhs9/Video%20Apr%2013%2C%204%2049%2034%20PM.mov

Any ideas welcome. I appreciate all the help I can get.

I bought a JD SB14 off craigslist and so far it is running great. Thinking about fixing the Cub and sellin both so I can get the new Husquvarna AWD. I have steep slopes to mow. I never had a blade clutch until the Deere, but I sure wish the Husquvarna had it! I will definitely miss it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to these Forums...
It is Starting with ether and it Only runs while the ether is in the carb...
If it had gasoline it would remain running. Remove the bowl from under the carb, Clean it out check the needle valve on the float see that fuel actually makes it to that point from the fuel tank... clean the main jet, reassemble and try again... :smile:KennyV

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to these Forums...
It is Starting with ether and it Only runs while the ether is in the carb...
If it had gasoline it would remain running. Remove the bowl from under the carb, Clean it out check the needle valve on the float see that fuel actually makes it to that point from the fuel tank... clean the main jet, reassemble and try again... :smile:KennyV

Thanks for your response, Kenny.
I will probably have to wait until the weekend. I actually had someone else clean it before as I'm not as mechanically savvy, but I can try it again.
How can I tell if the gas gets to the bowl or not? Should it "fill up" with fuel just from being connected?

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didnt get a chance to work with this over the weekend. I'm not opposed to just buying a new carb, but I'm curious about how the fuel travels. Is there a fuel pump? How does it get from the tank to the carb to the engine?
How can I test the gas flow?

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, got the carb apart and everything looks good. It is definitely getting gas to the bowl. Im going to go ahead and replace the gasket with form a gasket. Might be a while before i get it back together. Any other suggestions before i put it back together? Its a pain to get the carb off as I have to remove a wheel and the height adjustment bar.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are getting fuel To the carb... it is Not getting fuel Through that carb...
Your engine is running when it has fuel, (starting fluid), so the problem is looking like it is In the carburetor... clean it Well, all passages use compressed air if possible, or spray carb cleaner & air...
When you say your going to use form a gasket... what gasket are you going to replace with liquid gasket? Be very careful around small openings and vents in the carb with gasket material... :smile:KennyV

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are getting fuel To the carb... it is Not getting fuel Through that carb...
Your engine is running when it has fuel, (starting fluid), so the problem is looking like it is In the carburetor... clean it Well, all passages use compressed air if possible, or spray carb cleaner & air...
When you say your going to use form a gasket... what gasket are you going to replace with liquid gasket? Be very careful around small openings and vents in the carb with gasket material... :smile:KennyV

Well, it is running now, and I'm now confused and dont quite remember what originally prompted me to take it apart in the first place???
:ashamed:
I checked the gasket, put the carb back together and reassemled the mower. It still wouldn't stay running...
I went ahead and put the air filter assembly on and was going to put it away for another day. I always left the filter assembly off so I could get the shot of starter fluid in.
I happened to notice I could kind of see the carb valve through the assembly, so on a whim, I shot some fluid in and gave it a whirl.
It fired right up and ran like a dream! :cool:
I stopped and started several times just to see if the mower gods were messing with me.
I am pretty clueless when it comes to engines (computers are my thing), but shouldnt it still run without the filter assembly? This leads me to believe it would have probably started last year when I first cleaned the carb! :mad:
I already mowed this morning with my Deere 14SB, but will try the Cub next week and see how she does.
Thanks Kenny for your replies!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some carbs need the slight resistance of an air filter to operate properly... :smile:KennyV