Cub Cadet 1600 Drive Issue

sypherz28

Threads
Apologize for the delay. Haven't had the time to work on this just yet. Aiming for this weekend.

sypherz28

Threads
Unfortunately, this project had to take a seat for a while until we get our finances in order and get the maintenance done on our cars. I have a plan of attack but I need a few parts first. Flange bearings, clutch, and some odds and ends. My landscaper loves the fact that this is taking so long, that's for sure.

I compared the schematics of the old and new style rear end and it seems to be possible to upgrade my existing rear with new style parts for much cheaper than buying a whole assembly. That is assuming that I cannot repair the one I have of course.

sypherz28

Threads
Finally, time to start working on this project again. I purchased the two different flange bearings for the transmission and will compare with my micrometer to see how much of an improvement it will be. If there is still any play I am going to swap some of the washers as well.

sypherz28

Threads
I just wanted to put out a final word on this. I was able to successfully resolve this issue. The spacers beside the drive gear in the rear end were worn down to the point of causing a fair amount of wobble on that gear. Replaced the bushings and swapped the spacers, which Lowes refers to as 3/8 14g machine bushings. Once all of the play was out the issue was completely gone!

The highlighted parts below are the ones I replaced. Using my micrometer I swapped with ones that are thicker and eliminated the play on gears #7 and #8.
1612199134934.png

Last edited: