Cub Cadet 1600 Drive Issue

sypherz28

Threads
I have the single gear drive with the split pulley. The mower jerks and surges badly when in drive and usually about 50% it will stop moving altogether until i release and reapply pressure. I've changed both drive belts both 5/8 inch width and proper length. I've verified all pulleys are free and operational. I've even opened up the rear to check for any grinding or damage, which there was none. I'm not sure where to go from here.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you used the correct MTD belts meaning generic non MTD specific will not work or not work for long. then my next thought would be to reopen the tranny and look at the notches on the forward and reverse gears and the sliding collar for any wear that creates a slope effect to the edge of the notch. Doesn't take much to make those gears slip and jump under load.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you used the correct MTD belts meaning generic non MTD specific will not work or not work for long. then my next thought would be to reopen the tranny and look at the notches on the forward and reverse gears and the sliding collar for any wear that creates a slope effect to the edge of the notch. Doesn't take much to make those gears slip and jump under load.

The belts are not 5/8 they are 5L which is metric and they are thinner top to bottom that a std 5L

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belts are not 5/8 they are 5L which is metric and they are thinner top to bottom that a std 5L

Part of the confusion people have is the cross over books will show them as a 5/8 width and they are not 5/8 they are a propriety width and cut angle that just doesn't match the MTD pulleys

sypherz28

Threads
Truth be told I got the 5/8 MTD belts. Knowing now that I need a 5L explains a lot. Ill replace those and go from there. Is there a possibility that the PTO clutch can affect this at all?

sypherz28

Threads
Do you all have suggestions on where to get the proper belts consistently? Any Amazon sellers you trust?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the belt is right, it will have MTD on the belt itself .
On the sleeve will be the MTD part number ( cub numbers are the same ) and a description like "front drive belt then a list of models"
MTD can also use the exact same length belt for a different purpose , like deck drive on a different model.
The actual width is 21/32" from memory ( in inches ).
The only belt cross refference I trust is Gates https://www.gates.com/ais
Put the MTD number in the part number slot and you will get a screen with the appropriate Gates belt, if there is one.
The gates belt number will be a hot link to another page with the belt number as a hot link to the description of the belt.

A bit long winded but much better than any other cross refference list which all work of effective length so in many cases you will get a belt that is too thin or too thick.

As for buying on Amazon, no one I would trust .
Most of the vendors on there do not exist.
They are nothing more than a web page linked to a few pallet spaces in a warehouse with 50,000 other product lines staffed with pickers who have enough education to go to the bin on the picking slip and count out the correct number of items.

Lots of on line shops like Jacks Small engines, Ereplacement parts, partstree, Messicks, Cubcadetparts, small engine warehouse, etc etc etc.
If the on line shop has links to parts breakdowns then they are usually a real shop as they have to pay for that link.
Or perish the though, a mower shop where the person behind the counter might actually know what the part is for.

sypherz28

Threads
I rely on parts tree for my diagrams. Never thought of purchasing anything from them.

I cannot find a belt that is referenced as a 5L for this part number except for one on Amazon. Even MTD lists them as a 5/8". Just going to buy from parts tree and roll the dice. I will be sure that whatever I get is stamped with MTD and the part number.

Threads
Part of the confusion people have is the cross over books will show them as a 5/8 width and they are not 5/8 they are a propriety width and cut angle that just doesn't match the MTD pulleys

Correct on the angles....... John Deere belts have a different angle also.... If you don't get OEM belts they won't last or you will have issues....

Me and Tim Gross / Taryl fixes all, tried to tell a guy about that about 2 years ago.........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
-1.jpg

This is an image I pinched off the web.
the belt you were sold was most likely a std B section which is called 5/8 although it is not, but when put under load it changes shape a little.
Compare that to the other two 5/8 belts.
the 5V and the 5L

The 5V has the same V angle as the B section but is deeper.
Murray used this belt extensively for their deck drive belt.
There is also a 4 V which has a nominal 1/2 " width
Now have a good look at the 5L
Again it is nominally 5/8 " but the V angle is a lot wider and the depth is a lot shallower.
These belts are used extensively for variable pulleys ( also called sliding sheave ) as you have on your drive.

If you fit a std B or 5V section then the belt will bottom out when the sheave is at it narrowest and as there is no grip from the bottom of the belt, it will slip.
So If you have the wrong belts top & bottom it will slip at the fastest & the slowest speeds.

Now this is just the section.
After that you have the position of the cords, and their size.
A drive belt generally will have the cords closer to the back of the belt than a deck belt which has to bend back on itself a lot.

However both a deck and a drive belt will have the cords deeper into the belt than a std B section belt

Finally there is the cover material which can be cotton, a cotton blend , pollyester or kevlar.

I have ignored rubber compounds but again they vary according to the purpose of the belt.

The wrong belt will work, but it will not work for as long or as well as the correct belt and can damage the pulleys by wearing a groove into the drive face from the shoulder of the belt.

I usually fit Stens belts, except for vary drives where I fit Oregon belts.
Both Stens & Oregon claim their belts are OEM but the Stens belts just don't cut the mustard on varidrives although visually I can not tell the difference.