creative ways to get rid of flies?

bret

Threads
Does anyone know some other ways to get rid of flies? I have heard putting a penny in a bag of water helps, anyone know some other ways? My parents are having some real problems with flies, ants and fruit flies.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have heard putting a penny in a bag of water helps,.

I don't think that will do anything except make the penny temporarily wet..
short of smashing them chemically killing them or zapping them with electricity, I do not think there is a short cut way to eliminate flies...
keep everything that they eat away, and they will reduce in number, but there are always some around ripening fruit trees... :smile:KennyV

cren

Threads
Maybe rusty too?

What about just using fly traps like the kind you hang with sticky paper so you are not using any nasty chemicals that could leave a smell in the house or close to an area you want to keep smelling nice?

173abn

Threads
bret, now that you mentioned that penny in a bag thing I remember seeing or reading about it myself.The ones that used that method said it really worked.Never tried it myself. I invested in a whole lot of flyswatters and keep em close at hand because I really hate flys trying to make their living on me. russ

Hoss

Threads
I understand the concept behind the water bag/light refraction method, but where does the penny come in at? How would that help? does that add more to the flies' confusion somehow?

Tillie

Threads
Keep the screen door closed? Really, we're fighting those things now. The fly strips are gross, the spray is toxic, so we use flyswatters. If you wait until evening when they rest on the ceiling you can get them without so much fight.

Semiretired

Threads
Um, bathe a little more frequently??:laughing::laughing:

bret

Threads
Lol. Bathe hey! I do indeed bathe, maybe I bathe too much and they really like the scent of my shampoo, or perhaps it is just a bad year for bugs in general? I hear lots of people having bug issues in general this year.