Export thread

Crankshaft Replacement Issue

davbell22602

davbell22602

MTD/Sears 247.888500
Tecumseh HMSK85-155901A

Broken connecting rod. Connecting rod marked the surface on the crankshaft when rod goes. Crankshaft 35980A No longer Available. Short Block 756325 No longer available. Can I clean up the markings on the crankshaft with emory cloth and put new connecting rod and go with it? Any ideas or suggestions.

R

Rivets

I would suggest cleaning the crank bearing with meariatic acid, also know as technical hydrochloric acid. Soak the bearing in the acid, which will eat the aluminum away, but not hurt the cast-iron crank. Be care with this acid and do it outside. Read all precautions first. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

davbell22602

davbell22602

Here's pic of the crankshaft and rod journal.

crankshaft_zps012e0ad5.jpg

S5004606_zps0984cc81.jpg

S5004605_zpsf671c246.jpg

S5004604_zps8faba144.jpg

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have never had any luck cleaning a rod journal. It just never lasted very long after. Myself I bring it to a machine shop to have it re cut and then install a oversize rod. Just like new then. A new rod, gaskets, and some labor, give the clean up a try. Not that much to lose if it doesn't work but if it dose you are ahead of the game. Something I couldn't or will not guarantee for a customer job.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I dont know if I have any local machine shops that deal small engine parts.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I know what you mean. Machine shops that work on small engines are becoming a thing of the pass. This is the reason I said try to clean it. As for myself I just never had luck in doing so. But also I have never tryed it with the acid. Give it a try because I can't see any big money lose other then your own labor. If it was my own mower not a customers I sure woud give it a try. Have you given used parts or a used engine a thought. We are very lucky to have some very good mower salvage yards around us and I have had good luck with them.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I know what you mean. Machine shops that work on small engines are becoming a thing of the pass. This is the reason I said try to clean it. As for myself I just never had luck in doing so. But also I have never tryed it with the acid. Give it a try because I can't see any big money lose other then your own labor. If it was my own mower not a customers I sure woud give it a try. Have you given used parts or a used engine a thought. We are very lucky to have some very good mower salvage yards around us and I have had good luck with them.

No used mower junkyards over. They all go to the scrapyard. Thats why I had to start buying broken equipment last year to keep it from seeing the scrap yard. I bought this snowblower for $25. Dixies sales says they can still new crankshaft but they wont if the warehouse has it or NLA till I try ordering one. Retail price on the crankshaft is around $120.

Carscw

Carscw

I agree give it a try but keep your eye out for a good used engine. It never hurts to have a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

reynoldston

Salvage yards can be a messy business, but as I say where I live and if you know where to look and I find the owners are a breed all there own we still have some salvage yards around where I live.. I always try for new parts first but some of the older garden tractors you always can't find parts which the person starting this thread is finding out. If you can find a new crank for $120? if that is in US money that is a good price. Hope you the best of luck. Also have you looked into buying a new engine. If you have a real good chassis it might be worth doing so.

davbell22602

davbell22602

What engine can I use since Tecumseh is no longer in business? What engines are they using on the newer snowblowers that are bought from places like sears, lowes, home depot and dealers?

I

ILENGINE

MTD is using there MTD engine made in china. briggs is making snow engines, and Lauson engine, the new name for Tecumseh/LCT) has snow engines also.

My Tecumseh/Lauson/LCT distributor shows the crankshaft as NLA

R

Rivets

Finding a replacement for your Tecumseh is going to be difficult, as your's has a double PTO, which are no longer used on today's units.

davbell22602

davbell22602

MTD is using there MTD engine made in china. briggs is making snow engines, and Lauson engine, the new name for Tecumseh/LCT) has snow engines also.

My Tecumseh/Lauson/LCT distributor shows the crankshaft as NLA

RBI is showing its NLA also but Dixie Sales doesnt know til I order one. But its showing its still available.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Finding a replacement for your Tecumseh is going to be difficult, as your's has a double PTO, which are no longer used on today's units.

What about changing that setup to the newer setup. There's gotta be a way to convert double PTO to single PTO. I'm sure somebody found a way to do it.

R

Rivets

I'll be watching to see if anyone answers that request. The drive system are totally different, so I'd like to here how they did it. Good Luck.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I'll be watching to see if anyone answers that request. The drive system are totally different, so I'd like to here how they did it. Good Luck.

I posted the same question on the snowblowerforum also.