Crankshaft Endplay

BWH

Threads
I have a Briggs & Stratton 128602 series, 0149E1 model vertical shaft engine on a Snapper 21” self propelled I recently purchased. It runs well but I noticed oil on the floor, after checking it is leaking around the crankshaft seal. I can replace that but during the process I found the crankshaft has noticeable end play, I have never noticed any end play in other small engines. What are the causes of this end play and should it be corrected?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
From the Check chart i have, it shows between .002" and ".030 for the 12 series.

Threads
I don't think it's a big problem, I have ran a few engines with noticeable end play without problems.
I think it really depends on how much end play you have.
If you could give us an estimated measurement of the play that would be helpful.

Levi517

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the Check chart i have, it shows between .002" and ".030 for the 12 series.
Would you please look on your chart for the Briggs & Stratton, 27hp vertical shaft; model 44Q777, Thanks.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I have a Briggs & Stratton 128602 series, 0149E1 model vertical shaft engine on a Snapper 21” self propelled I recently purchased. It runs well but I noticed oil on the floor, after checking it is leaking around the crankshaft seal. I can replace that but during the process I found the crankshaft has noticeable end play, I have never noticed any end play in other small engines. What are the causes of this end play and should it be corrected?
The crankshaft will actually get longer as the engine warms up and end play is there by design and is necessary to keep the crankshaft from seizing at it's thrust faces. Too little end play is normally more of an issue that too much within reason of course. Like Scrub pointed out from his chart, up to .030 is fine. End play can sometimes seem to be much more than it actually is. I once had someone tell me they could feel 1/16" of end play and when it was actually measured it turned out to be .027.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually it is the other way round
The crankcases are alloy so it expands more than the crank shaft

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For most small engines the end play is set by the crankcase gasket thickness, and most of the time it comes in one thickness only with no other options. Maybe able to get different thicknesses aftermarket. But for most engines there is no reason to worry about end play because you can't change it anyway.