Craftsman YT4000 - won't leave "free wheel" mode. Bypass rod is moving lever on transmission

Acetigg

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman YT4000 - won't leave "free wheel" mode. Bypass rod is moving lever on transmission
Did u ever find a fix? I bought a craftsman and the bypass rod won’t engage. Wheels free spins and the rod is “limp” and won’t seat in place.

Rocketwoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman YT4000 - won't leave "free wheel" mode. Bypass rod is moving lever on transmission
I have the same problem with my Craftsman 4000 dty and the motor turns on and it won’t go into drive or reverse. I pulled on the z shape rod and it goes in and out but the wheels still move. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have the same problem with my Craftsman 4000 dty and the motor turns on and it won’t go into drive or reverse. I pulled on the z shape rod and it goes in and out but the wheels still move. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Some of these rods, many actually, on riding mowers are very thin. Over time, debris will build up, along with the fact these bypass levers on trans axle rarely get moved. Get a flashlight and see if you can locate where the bypass rod hooks into on transaxle. Try to get your hand on the lever on end of rod and move it that way. Spray some lubricant around lever if necessary. Make sure it is moving back and forth all the way. Try rocking the mower back in forth as well once bypass is in or out.