Craftsman YT4000 - won't leave "free wheel" mode. Bypass rod is moving lever on transmission

mrbrjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman YT4000 - won't leave "free wheel" mode. Bypass rod is moving lever on transmission
Hi all,

My Craftsman YT4000 - won't leave "free wheel" mode. I've pushed the bypass lever all the way in but it will rolls freely. When I trace the bypass lever back I can feel it moving the switch on the transmission. Mower runs fine and blades will engage but it won't move forward or backward. Drive belt looks fine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Craftsman YT4000 - won't leave "free wheel" mode. Bypass rod is moving lever on transmission
Clean around the lever
Most have detents cut into the case or moulded up from the case and these can be hard to get the lever to slide over.

mrbrjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lever area is clean and I can physically move the switch on the transmission from "open" to "close" without any difference in behavior.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just a thought did you recently have one of the rear wheels off?

mrbrjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thought about that but nope :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lever area is clean and I can physically move the switch on the transmission from "open" to "close" without any difference in behavior.
Are you sure that it is moving all of the way.
Most of the cases have detents in them to stop the lever accidentially moving but they can feel like a positative stop and prevent you moving the lever far enough to open or close the valve.

mrbrjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am sure. Plus I physically followed lever to toggle/switch on transmission and moved it to it's full range of motion as if the lever was being pulled/pushed. I was wondering if it was an electrical issue preventing clutch from engaging but that wouldn't prevent physical toggle from stopping wheels. About ready to give up and take to repair shop :(

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The lever is a valve that diverts the oil either into the wheel motors or return to the sump.
Noting electric there is is just a ball valve
The only thing I can think of is the lever is no longer turning the valve shaft
Seriously doubt that you can get in there with any combination of mirrors & lamps to be able to see the shaft either above or below the lever to determine if the shaft is moving.
Never heard of them coming apart but then I have only been doing this for 7 years

keakar

Threads
well it sounds like it has something hung up/stuck inside the tranny

about all i can suggest is jack the rear end off the ground and spin the wheels as you push and pull on the lever and just hope the rotation of all the gears in it unsticks and engages again

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Please post the model number from the serial number tag so we look up the transaxle to what might going on here.