Craftsman with 15.5 Turbo Air Cool dies after 30 so minutes

CelticFrost

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman with 15.5 Turbo Air Cool dies after 30 so minutes
My Craftsman rider with the 15.5 Turbo Air Cool, model is 28N707 runs fine for about 30 minutes then acts like it's running out of gas then dies. I can let sit for few minutes, like 15 then it r runs fine and does same thing. Has plenty of gas, i checked to see if gas cap is clean and it is. Oil has been changed with maybe 8 hrs on it and level is good. Just wondering what to do next. ? I was thinking about just getting new spark plug.and fuel filter, the fuel filter does look kinda old. Air filter looks good. Any suggestions ? Ty in advance.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another spark plug mercy change out. Who out there is teaching people if your mower is dead replace spark plugs? LOL Very low number of real plugs needing replaced. Many more probably need cleaned.

I would go with grass and bugs in the fuel tank. Work on flushing out the tank then blowing out with compressed air and safety glasses.

Maybe check some spark at the 30 min cutoff?

CelticFrost

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another spark plug mercy change out. Who out there is teaching people if your mower is dead replace spark plugs? LOL Very low number of real plugs needing replaced. Many more probably need cleaned.

I would go with grass and bugs in the fuel tank. Work on flushing out the tank then blowing out with compressed air and safety glasses.

Maybe check some spark at the 30 min cutoff?
I just read about the possibility of spark plug change with my problem. The gas tank is clean I checked that. Guess I could try blowing air in the tank..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean as in looking like a new one inside? Output port nipple where the hose connects is wide open?

Next would be all new fuel line install from tank to carb. New filter and shut off valve wouldn't hurt. Fuel line deteriorates on the inside which leads to plugged up carbs.

After that a good carb boil for an hour. pH neutral soap, cheap hot plate and pot. Remove all plastic and rubber parts prior to boiling.

Still need to check spark after 30 mins. Pull the coil kill wire/s. Should drain the tank dry is the ignition coil/s are good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When it stops pull the fuel line off at the tank side of the fuel pump ( if it has one ) then loosen the filler cap and blow back through the fuel line
If it will start up strait away after that then you have floating trash in your fuel tank that gets drawn into the outlet and blocks it off .

CelticFrost

Forum Newbie
Threads
When it stops pull the fuel line off at the tank side of the fuel pump ( if it has one ) then loosen the filler cap and blow back through the fuel line
If it will start up strait away after that then you have floating trash in your fuel tank that gets drawn into the outlet and blocks it off .
Only fuel line i see is from tank to filter to carb .I'm gonna get new fuel line and filter and clean carb..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK so you have a gravity system.
Test is the same but you can pull off the fuel line anywhere as there are no check valves to prevent you doing this .

Born2Mow

Threads
Sounds like a clogged air vent in the fuel cap. After 30 minutes the vacuum in the tank is high enough to stop all fuel flow. However, over night air is able to leak in and the fuel will flow the next day.

The new EPA approved caps (on all equipment since about 1995) have a tight-fitting flapper valve that is very easy to clog. Sometimes you can rip that junk out of the cap, sometimes you can drill a traditional 0.020" hole off to the side.