Craftsman weedwacker trimmer, model #316.791020

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Duke, I have to resize too. Wife taught me to use paint function . Anyway , I recognize the picture immediately. It is the clutch. My ryobi had a similar clutch . The reason it spins freely is that's how it works. Inside is a shoe connected to the crank . As it spins above idle centrifugal force expands the shoe and it locks up with the "can" in the picture. The square cavity and the shaft are then driven .

The factory did not want me to remove my clutch. If you shine a light down the hole you may see a phillips screw head. On mine it was inaccessible . I finally destroyed the clutch getting it off. The Ryobi had died after 10 years and I had seen contact between the flywheel and coil so I wanted to examine the crank bearing. Never got there. By the time you price out just a few repair parts you are at $100+ and can buy another low end trimmer. I bought a Sears weed wacker which is fine for my homeowner use. I do not see any shavings. By the way why do you suspect the clutch?

dukerocks

Threads
Hi,

The engine had died on me in use. Thought it ran out of gas and put more gas in anyways. It would not restart. I use an external starter. The engine sounded funny in the cranking process like never before. It would not start. I know the plug is good as it is almost brand new. It would not even sputter. You can see the gray matter on the red plastic, that is the metal shavings. It looks like it dropped down out of the bottom of the clutch all over the red plastic. I'll check for that screw you spoke about.

Thanks,

Bob

ps I was also using paint to resize but haven't completely caught on to well with that either.

dukerocks

Threads
pics are blank here

I did find a torque driver to fit the top screw in the clutch. I need to prevent the motor shaft from turning when I turn this screw. I have little clearance between the clutch and the motor casing. The casing cannot be removed until the clutch comes off. I think the only access to prevent the shaft from turning is thru the top of the spark plug cylinder. Do you have another idea? Thanks, Bob

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The classic 2 stroke method is careful insertion of (plastic) rope into the plug hole and to then move piston up until stopped.

dukerocks

Threads
The classic 2 stroke method is careful insertion of (plastic) rope into the plug hole and to then move piston up until stopped.

I found a port to stop the flywheel. I have the clutch cap off now but don't know how to remove that clutch spring assembly. Can you enlighten me.

Thanks,

Bob

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's been a while. Can you send a pic?

dukerocks

Threads
It's been a while. Can you send a pic?

Check this out. Of course it is not on the shaft. Is this screwed onto threads on the engine shaft? It has a plate of top with one end on the plate says"off". Or do I need to disconnect the springs. Thanks., Bob

Attachments

• Clutch-753-05860-01486365.jpg
    Clutch-753-05860-01486365.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's fuzzy, but I think a left hand thread and was surprisingly easy to unscrew.