Export thread

Craftsman weedwacker trimmer, model #316.791020

D

dukerocks

This trimmer is designed to interchange for other purposes. Because of this features, my trimmer does not have a tight secure head string cutter. The head "bobbles", very annoying. The only thing I can see to do is drill a hole through the shaft to drive a bolt through to tighten it up. I don't know how this will affect the cable that runs down through the shaft?

Anybody know what I am talking about? Any other suggestions? I could send a pic for your review. Thanks

M

motoman

On my old Ryobi there was a separate snap- on stalk which had a brush cutter blade. Is this feature what you are discussing? The string bump head "base" screwed onto a drive screw, and then the spring load line cartridge fastens onto it. Have you tried tightening or examining the base? When the Ryobi died I bought a Sears weedwhacker and found the brush cutter stack would snap onto the Sear's unit.

D

dukerocks

HI,

I do not know what attachments may fit onto the shaft, possibly at tiller, etc. There is a spring loaded button to release, to remove & replace attachments. The hole around this button is too large allowing the cutting head to wobble at least a total of 4 inches. Very annoying!

I did think of another option. To use a rivot connecting the shafts. I'm just worried about ruining the cable in the shaft to the attachment.

Thanks for your response.

S

shiftsuper175607

HI,

I do not know what attachments may fit onto the shaft, possibly at tiller, etc. There is a spring loaded button to release, to remove & replace attachments. The hole around this button is too large allowing the cutting head to wobble at least a total of 4 inches. Very annoying!

I did think of another option. To use a rivot connecting the shafts. I'm just worried about ruining the cable in the shaft to the attachment.

Thanks for your response.

You can't drill a hole. that would hit you cable.
Is there any way you could slide a piece of maybe PVC pipe over the two?

Or, put a splint and tape it with good ol' electrical tape.

D

dukerocks

Hi,

I think I like the splint idea. Maybe I can use hose clamps with the splints & tape.

M

motoman

Send a pic so we can see.

D

dukerocks

HI,

Here are a couple of pics. I think the splint principal is going to work well. In the pic, I am currently 2 popsicle sticks. These are needing to be longer and maybe steel. I need to find some flat steel bracing at the hardware store that I can fabricate into splints.

Thanks for your great idea.

Attachments

D

dukerocks

Hi again,

My trimmer has developed a new problem. The cable receiver on the motor shaft turns freely, in either direction. In other words it does not turn the piston when turning it by hand. Correct me if I am wrong, there should be a key in a key slot on the motor shaft keeping it from turning freely. I need to remove this receiver off the motor shaft Do I need some type of puller or just use brute force but do not want to damage it or anything else when doing so?

You will see in the attached pics there are some metal shaving around the base of the receiver all over the red plastic. Something went wrong when running the trimmer.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

M

motoman

pics are blank here

D

dukerocks

Hi.

Try this.

I am a real hack posting pics. It seems all my pics have to be resized, too many pixels. I am not good at that.

Attachments

M

motoman

Duke, I have to resize too. Wife taught me to use paint function . Anyway , I recognize the picture immediately. It is the clutch. My ryobi had a similar clutch . The reason it spins freely is that's how it works. Inside is a shoe connected to the crank . As it spins above idle centrifugal force expands the shoe and it locks up with the "can" in the picture. The square cavity and the shaft are then driven .

The factory did not want me to remove my clutch. If you shine a light down the hole you may see a phillips screw head. On mine it was inaccessible . I finally destroyed the clutch getting it off. The Ryobi had died after 10 years and I had seen contact between the flywheel and coil so I wanted to examine the crank bearing. Never got there. By the time you price out just a few repair parts you are at $100+ and can buy another low end trimmer. I bought a Sears weed wacker which is fine for my homeowner use. I do not see any shavings. By the way why do you suspect the clutch?

D

dukerocks

Hi,

The engine had died on me in use. Thought it ran out of gas and put more gas in anyways. It would not restart. I use an external starter. The engine sounded funny in the cranking process like never before. It would not start. I know the plug is good as it is almost brand new. It would not even sputter. You can see the gray matter on the red plastic, that is the metal shavings. It looks like it dropped down out of the bottom of the clutch all over the red plastic. I'll check for that screw you spoke about.

Thanks,

Bob

ps I was also using paint to resize but haven't completely caught on to well with that either.

D

dukerocks

pics are blank here

I did find a torque driver to fit the top screw in the clutch. I need to prevent the motor shaft from turning when I turn this screw. I have little clearance between the clutch and the motor casing. The casing cannot be removed until the clutch comes off. I think the only access to prevent the shaft from turning is thru the top of the spark plug cylinder. Do you have another idea? Thanks, Bob

M

motoman

The classic 2 stroke method is careful insertion of (plastic) rope into the plug hole and to then move piston up until stopped.

D

dukerocks

The classic 2 stroke method is careful insertion of (plastic) rope into the plug hole and to then move piston up until stopped.

I found a port to stop the flywheel. I have the clutch cap off now but don't know how to remove that clutch spring assembly. Can you enlighten me.

Thanks,

Bob

M

motoman

It's been a while. Can you send a pic?

D

dukerocks

It's been a while. Can you send a pic?

Check this out. Of course it is not on the shaft. Is this screwed onto threads on the engine shaft? It has a plate of top with one end on the plate says"off". Or do I need to disconnect the springs. Thanks., Bob

Attachments

M

motoman

It's fuzzy, but I think a left hand thread and was surprisingly easy to unscrew.