Craftsman Weed Trimmer Fuel Line Replacement

Motoduc84

Forum Newbie
Greetings:

I have a pretty old Craftsman Weed Trimmer, but it works well. The fuel lines were old and cracked, so I replaced them. I did not measure them...and I'm wondering if that if my problem, for it now will not start.

The primer bulb isn't filling with fuel; can that hose be TOO long? I think I left it about four inches in length, so it now goes deep into the tank. Can it go too deep?

I'm certain I did everything else correctly...including reconnecting the hoses to the property line.

Any help...many thanks.
 
only 2 reasons why the PURGE valve does not fill with fuel.
1) Plumbed wrong 99.99% of the time
2) blocked filter in the tank or carb.

The PURGE valve sucks the air out of the carb and blows it into the fuel tank.
This in turn causes fuel to replace the air so eventually the PURGE valve fills up with fuel.
 
only 2 reasons why the PURGE valve does not fill with fuel.
1) Plumbed wrong 99.99% of the time
2) blocked filter in the tank or carb.

The PURGE valve sucks the air out of the carb and blows it into the fuel tank.
This in turn causes fuel to replace the air so eventually the PURGE valve fills up with fuel.

Thanks for the reply. I had it wrong, thinking that the bulb sucked fuel through that line and primed the carb. You're saying that it sucks air out.

So, if that is the case...the line going from the purge, into the tank...should not be very long! Like...it shouldn't even be long enough to be dipping into the fuel that is in the tank, correct?
 
The fuel goes from the fuel line with the fuel filter into the inlet nipple on the carb, then from the outlet nipple on the carb to the short nipple on the primer and then from the long nipple on the primer back into the tank.
 
The fuel goes from the fuel line with the fuel filter into the inlet nipple on the carb, then from the outlet nipple on the carb to the short nipple on the primer and then from the long nipple on the primer back into the tank.

Okay...

So, do you think the length of the line that I cut for the primer...is that irrelevant?
 
What I have found over the years is when the lines start coming apart they tend to suck junk into the filter screen inside of the carb.
 
What I have found over the years is when the lines start coming apart they tend to suck junk into the filter screen inside of the carb.

Alright...took the fuel filter back out and cleaned it up. Took the carb off, cleaned the air filter and then carb and choke cleaner into the all passageways on the carb. Reassembled everything...and then, just because, I went ahead and trimmed the primer (purge) line.

Fired up! Runs strong! Great to keep alive a 25 year-old piece of equipment. Thanks for all for the advice.
 
Back
Top