Craftsman T1600 Riding Mower Blows blueish smoke

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I got a craftsman T1600 yesterday and coming home, I noticed that it was smoking whitish/bluish smoke after it runs for 2 minutes, I'm not really sure what the problem is
the seller said he had just replaced the spark plug, and changed the oil, not including the filter. any help appreciated!
- The Craftsman Mower Lover Lanerdude9

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs engine? Kohler? What is the model number of the engine?

Blue-ish smoke is oil burning. Oil in the cylinder when the gas ignites. Could be rings, head gasket or valves, I'd start with a compression test then a leak-down test.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Briggs engine? Kohler? What is the model number of the engine?

Blue-ish smoke is oil burning. Oil in the cylinder when the gas ignites. Could be rings, head gasket or valves, I'd start with a compression test then a leak-down test.
briggs

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on which Briggs you have, the first thing I would check is a blown head gasket.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
drain the oil, put in clean oil of the correct viscosity to the correct level and try again. If an engine gets over filled, tipped on its side, lots of things, it can burn oil for awhile. Oil spilled into an exhaust takes time to burn out. If the engine was tight or low on compression, he could have put oil into the cylinder to raise the compression temporarially, then the oil got pushed into the exhaust where it is burning off. It is a used engine, right? Or maybe that is why he sold it. Or maybe he got it cheap and flipped it with a quick fix. As others have said, a blown head gasket into the crankcase can cause it too.

You also said, "coming home." Did you drive it down the road or across fields coming home? How far and how long? Is it designed to be pushed that hard and long?

artemjemmy

Threads
I got a craftsman T1600 yesterday and coming home, I noticed that it was smoking whitish/bluish smoke after it runs for 2 minutes, I'm not really sure what the problem is
the seller said he had just replaced the spark plug, and changed the oil, not including the filter. any help appreciated!
- The Craftsman Mower Lover Lanerdude9
After you've run the mower for a while, getting it nice and hot, stop it and remove the dipstick. Do you see a white-ish smoke slowly coming out? This is a telltale sign of a blown head gasket, or very excessive cylinder blow-by.

artemjemmy

Threads
Also before we get too far, check that the engine just isn't overfilled with oil.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Also before we get too far, check that the engine just isn't overfilled with oil.
and that it is the proper stuff, as to thin or gas diluted can cause blue smoke. ALSO breather issue or clogged air filter will cause blue smoke from high flow out breather which then carries oil. Most common immediate sign, is oil in the cavity behind the air filter heading to the carb. Lack of this may not be a reason to negate the breather issue.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
drain the oil, put in clean oil of the correct viscosity to the correct level and try again. If an engine gets over filled, tipped on its side, lots of things, it can burn oil for awhile. Oil spilled into an exhaust takes time to burn out. If the engine was tight or low on compression, he could have put oil into the cylinder to raise the compression temporarially, then the oil got pushed into the exhaust where it is burning off. It is a used engine, right? Or maybe that is why he sold it. Or maybe he got it cheap and flipped it with a quick fix. As others have said, a blown head gasket into the crankcase can cause it too.

You also said, "coming home." Did you drive it down the road or across fields coming home? How far and how long? Is it designed to be pushed that hard and long?
our house was 5 mins away, we drove slow on a road