Craftsman Smart Rider 917.280010

Jack17

Threads
Greetings and salutations.
A little tirade first? This is the fourth time in the last three years that I've been rebuilding the friction disk / clutch assembly on my 30' Smart Rider. I ran out of clutch disks and plates so I've placed an order thru Craftsman Parts website only to find out that it all been put on back order with AYP till May of 15!!! Everything else on my rider is holding up quite well and works as it should but the clutch!? What a horrible design and quality. Anyway, did any of you on this board ever heard of a retrofit or maybe even a complete swap with some other brand of transmission? Geared if possible, hydro maybe? I'd hate to scrap the whole rider just because of a round piece of aluminum housing that contains a few round plates, spring, bearing and a friction disk is causing all the problems. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jack

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
917 in your model number makes it made by Husqvarna. That is probably just the replacement(reworked) transmission. I have heard bad things about the old ones. Nothing about the new ones.

Jack17

Threads
Hi again,
So in my quest for finding parts for my rider I've managed to get a hold on talk to a few technical / parts support people at AYP, Husqvarna and Sears. None of which could help me with locating parts I need. Everything is either sold, back-ordered or pending production line retooling! I also called two different "tractor parts" supply houses to no avail, but while talking to one of them reps he says to me: "don't waste your time on it." Kind of disappointing that a machine that is about four years old is junk just because of a clutch disk!
Thank you guys for all your replies and help.

Harmond

Threads
Do you have a big piece of property or a bunch of hills?

Jack17

Threads
If you guys ever wonder what is it that I'm talking about here is a pic. clutch plate.JPG
The small plates to the left in the pic are just too small of a surface area / friction and instead of transferring power to the large ones slip a lot burning themselves up in the process.

Jack17

Threads
Do you have a big piece of property or a bunch of hills?

I have 2 acres. Yard is leveled with trees. I've got HVZ2350 zero turn to do the actual cutting. Little Craftsman I only use to tow a Billy Goat lawn-vac.

Harmond

Threads
If you guys ever wonder what is it that I'm talking about here is a pic. View attachment 24758
The small plates to the left in the pic are just too small of a surface area / friction and instead of transferring power to the large ones slip a lot burning themselves up in the process.

There should be a nut on the outside of the assembly. The tighter that nut is turned, the more pressure there is on the clutch pack, and the less likely it is to slip.

Jack17

Threads
There should be a nut on the outside of the assembly. The tighter that nut is turned, the more pressure there is on the clutch pack, and the less likely it is to slip.

Trust me, I know that nut very well. I have a personal relationship with that nut...seriously thinking about giving it a real name like; Miss Nut..so..cool?