Export thread

Craftsman Smart Rider 917.280010

J

Jack17

Greetings and salutations.
A little tirade first? This is the fourth time in the last three years that I've been rebuilding the friction disk / clutch assembly on my 30' Smart Rider. I ran out of clutch disks and plates so I've placed an order thru Craftsman Parts website only to find out that it all been put on back order with AYP till May of 15!!! Everything else on my rider is holding up quite well and works as it should but the clutch!? What a horrible design and quality. Anyway, did any of you on this board ever heard of a retrofit or maybe even a complete swap with some other brand of transmission? Geared if possible, hydro maybe? I'd hate to scrap the whole rider just because of a round piece of aluminum housing that contains a few round plates, spring, bearing and a friction disk is causing all the problems. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jack

M

mechanic mark

CRAFTSMAN Riding Mower Parts | Model 917280010 | SearsPartsDirect I would make repairs or not & sell mower as is. Take a look at these websites: Toro, Snapper, Simplicity mowers, try them all out, dependable mowers,you get what you pay for, shop at local dealers, off season is a good time to shop.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=american+yard+parts

J

Jack17

Thanks for your input Mark.
I've found this thing: Husqvarna 532441097 REPAIR.KIT.LRVB.PRIMARY.DRIVE ($215.27)
Looks like it should work for what I need it...but again, is it gonna hold up? I'm getting pretty tired of rebuilding it twice a year.

BlazNT

BlazNT

917 in your model number makes it made by Husqvarna. That is probably just the replacement(reworked) transmission. I have heard bad things about the old ones. Nothing about the new ones.

J

Jack17

Hi again,
So in my quest for finding parts for my rider I've managed to get a hold on talk to a few technical / parts support people at AYP, Husqvarna and Sears. None of which could help me with locating parts I need. Everything is either sold, back-ordered or pending production line retooling! I also called two different "tractor parts" supply houses to no avail, but while talking to one of them reps he says to me: "don't waste your time on it." Kind of disappointing that a machine that is about four years old is junk just because of a clutch disk!
Thank you guys for all your replies and help.

H

Harmond

Do you have a big piece of property or a bunch of hills?

J

Jack17

If you guys ever wonder what is it that I'm talking about here is a pic. clutch plate.JPG
The small plates to the left in the pic are just too small of a surface area / friction and instead of transferring power to the large ones slip a lot burning themselves up in the process.

J

Jack17

Do you have a big piece of property or a bunch of hills?

I have 2 acres. Yard is leveled with trees. I've got HVZ2350 zero turn to do the actual cutting. Little Craftsman I only use to tow a Billy Goat lawn-vac.

H

Harmond

If you guys ever wonder what is it that I'm talking about here is a pic. View attachment 24758
The small plates to the left in the pic are just too small of a surface area / friction and instead of transferring power to the large ones slip a lot burning themselves up in the process.

There should be a nut on the outside of the assembly. The tighter that nut is turned, the more pressure there is on the clutch pack, and the less likely it is to slip.

J

Jack17

There should be a nut on the outside of the assembly. The tighter that nut is turned, the more pressure there is on the clutch pack, and the less likely it is to slip.

Trust me, I know that nut very well. I have a personal relationship with that nut...seriously thinking about giving it a real name like; Miss Nut..so..cool?

J

Jack17

Parts that I've ordered back in September arrived two days ago. Busted up Red Craftsman Devil breaths fire again! Tire marks allover driveway!:laughing:
FYI: Husqvarna refunded all my money for the parts I've been waiting for for so long. Sure looks like they gave it to me for free!? I was upset about their customer service and now I feel sorry for them.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Glad to hear you finally got your parts.

H

Harmond

Trust me, I know that nut very well. I have a personal relationship with that nut...seriously thinking about giving it a real name like; Miss Nut..so..cool?

lol :)

L

laptoponthego

Have you had any luck in finding a part or modifying the unit?

F

friendofeagles

Parts that I've ordered back in September arrived two days ago. Busted up Red Craftsman Devil breaths fire again! Tire marks allover driveway!:laughing:
FYI: Husqvarna refunded all my money for the parts I've been waiting for for so long. Sure looks like they gave it to me for free!? I was upset about their customer service and now I feel sorry for them.
I need help with this same mower and same issue any chance you might talk me through it or send a video explaining the repair step by step haven't had any luck on you tube?