Repairs Craftsman Riding Mower won't engage drive gear

Dave_S

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just changed a rear tire on my Craftsman Riding Mower (model 917.27078). I jacked it up using the rear hitch with a floor jack. When I tried driving it after the wheel was installed, it would not engage the gear. I am able to push it freely when it is off or on. It also pushes freely with the brake pedal fully depressed (and locked). When I push the drive lever full forward, the engine starts to stall. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First you are missing a digit in you model number. Second, it is a hydro, so I would check to see if the hydro release lever is in the free wheeling position.

Dave_S

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry... 917.270781

I've checked the release rod. It isn't locked in the free-wheel position. I've tried to push the lever/rod forward to no avail. The lever moves, but nothing engages. Also note that I did not pull the lever back prior to this happening. It drove, I jacked it up, I lowered it, it wouldn't engage.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if the belt came off when you jacked it up?

Dave_S

Forum Newbie
Threads
The belt looks to be on the pulley. When I push the shifter all the way forward, I can stall the engine, but don't move.

I just checked and the pulley on top of the transfer case is moving.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This may sound dumb, you said that you put on a new tire. I am assuming that you removed the rim from the axle. Is it possible that you lost the key out of the axle. If the key is missing it could cause a free wheel situation.

Dave_S

Forum Newbie
Threads
This may sound dumb, you said that you put on a new tire. I am assuming that you removed the rim from the axle. Is it possible that you lost the key out of the axle. If the key is missing it could cause a free wheel situation.

HA! I haven't checked, but I'd bet money that's what it is. This means I've probably been running on one wheel for 2 years (when I changed the other one). THANKS!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
HA! I haven't checked, but I'd bet money that's what it is. This means I've probably been running on one wheel for 2 years (when I changed the other one). THANKS!

If the key is missing on either side the mower will not move. I would just look at the one you just changed

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Threads
If the key is missing on either side the mower will not move. I would just look at the one you just changed

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Yep the wheel key is missing good call guys. It happens they stick to the wheel, or axle, and then fall out when you go to re-install the wheel.