Craftsman Riding mower 22 HP 42 cut. Cant get tranny to disengage to push mower.

Zedo

Threads
  • / Craftsman Riding mower 22 HP 42 cut. Cant get tranny to disengage to push mower.
Having a problem disengaging tranny to push mower, when the little coat hanger type rod ( draw bar ) is in the engaged position the mower works fine , when I pull it out I cant push it , wouldn't disengage the tranny ,yes I have the emergency brake off. I looked under the mower couldn't see anything out of whack. I was thinking the brake was locked up but works fine, at least I'm able to stop. Could it be internal or something needs adjusting on the outside of the tranny in the linkage or adjustment somewhere ? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / Craftsman Riding mower 22 HP 42 cut. Cant get tranny to disengage to push mower.
Having a problem disengaging tranny to push mower, when the little coat hanger type rod ( draw bar ) is in the engaged position the mower works fine , when I pull it out I cant push it , would disengage the tranny ,yes I have the emergency brake off. I looked under the mower couldn't see anything out of whack. I was thinking the brake was locked up but works fine, at least I'm able to stop. Could it be internal or something needs adjusting on the outside of the tranny in the linkage or adjustment somewhere ? Thank you in advance.
Occasionally the bypass sticks on these transaxles. Follow the release wire under the machine to the bypass lever on the side of transaxle. Spray it with PB Blaster and work it back and forth preferably right at the lever with a plier or by hand. See if that solves the sticking issue.

dawgn86

Threads
I believe on mine, the forward/reverse foot pedal has to be in the neutral position.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without the mower model number from serial number tag we can't not look up your mower. I do know the GTI plastic transaxle does give problems on disengaging due wear of the plastic parts.

You could have a Hydro Gear, Tuff Torq, or a General Transmissions transaxle.

Zedo

Threads
I believe on mine, the forward/reverse foot pedal has to be in the neutral position.
On my mower the forward/reverse pedal centers itself automatically when foot is taken off. Is there an electrical switch that puts it in neutral or is it all mechanical , Thanks !

Zedo

Threads
Without the mower model number from serial number tag we can't not look up your mower. I do know the GTI plastic transaxle does give problems on disengaging due wear of the plastic parts.

You could have a Hydro Gear, Tuff Torq, or a General Transmissions transaxle.
Model # 917.98641 ( 2014 ) mower

dawgn86

Threads
On my mower the forward/reverse pedal centers itself automatically when foot is taken off. Is there an electrical switch that puts it in neutral or is it all mechanical , Thanks !
I think mine is supposed to, but sometimes may hang slightly in either forward or reverse.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
General Transmission RS800P CVT transaxle. All mechanical.

You try turning CW the inversion nut by 1/4-1/2 turn. This should offset some the plastic wear.
1718150516924.png
1718150772547.png