Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start

cupboy

Threads
  • / Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start
No fire at spark plug means one of those pesky safety switchs is faulty sear, in gear, clutch not depressed.
Would the starter still turn the engine in that circumstance?

(the engine is a Kohler by the way, not Briggs)

tagpop

Threads
  • / Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start
If all the safety switches are working the engine should turn free and fast with plugs removed. If it does not turn at all its a faulty switch, broken wire, loose wire or bad key switch or solenoid or fuse etc. My twin cylinder engine will be seized sometimes when I first crank it in the spring and I burnt up 2 solenoids before I realized engine was not turning enough (the coil was just a little to close to the flywheel and rusted, mower is only 30 years old). A wiring diagram is helpful if you have an electric type problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starting citcuit
Fuse => key switch =>pto switch =>parking brake switch =>solenoid

fiscokid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your battery's ground cable. Clean where it is attached to the frame.

stoddardt02

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, besides the battery what could the problem be? It did run out of gas and I left it out overnight with the key on the "on" position. So that's why the battery went dead. The display works though so there is some power in the Diehard battery. I have also tried starting it with one of those starter packs like you use to start a car that has a dead battery. I guess I could check the plugs but don't know why they'd both go bad all at once. What would be in between the battery and the spark plugs?
So, besides the battery what could the problem be? It did run out of gas and I left it out overnight with the key on the "on" position. So that's why the battery went dead. The display works though so there is some power in the Diehard battery. I have also tried starting it with one of those starter packs like you use to start a car that has a dead battery. I guess I could check the plugs but don't know why they'd both go bad all at once. What would be in between the battery and the spark plugs?
Try to jump it with a good battery or put another battery in it. My guess is your jump pack is no charged all the way or it’s battery is on its way out too. If it was running the night before a dead battery won’t effect the plugs or valves.

Alphadog

Threads
Very good chance that Star Tech's answer, "Sounds like the classic valves out adjustment or a fail ACR (Automatic Compression Release) on the camshaft." is the correct answer but, you also need to follow "tag pop's" recommendation to make sure that it will turn over properly, if at all. Pop the plug and turn it over. If it does turn over easily, go back to Star Tech's answer....... Adjust the valves or replace the cam. That's about all I got. I too have had the valve/cam problem. At first, all I needed to do was adjust the valves. After a while of doing that occasionally, it got to where even that wasn't enough, thus the camshaft. I'm not a small engine repair person but, I do all my own work. Take it or leave it. I'm not an expert. Good luck.

vms_man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cupboy - any resolution to your problem? I haven't seen any updates from you since Sunday! If it's still not resolved, please let us know. I have a few suggestions to try.

olie01

Threads
Had that problem, one of 2 things connected to the battery, one the cables are corroded, lessen for a sparing sound when you turn the key to start, the other is the starter armature bearings worn causing the armature to the field winding making it turn slowly.

Daddio7

Threads
Easy test, take your hands and rotate the motor through the compression strokes. If it then starts it is the compression release mechanism that is broke. If you are a bit handy there is a YouTube video on how to replace it. I ran my JD L111 for ten years like that. Last year I got tired of that and bought a JD E130.

Tommy Mckeown

Threads
I agree with the person who said pull the plugs and try to crank. Could be hydro-locked if fuel filled the cylinder. Also pull the oil stick and check for gas dilution and odor.