Craftsman Rider dies

lefty2cox

Threads
What is a "small craftsman riding mower"? Is this one of those 30" rear-engine machines? Any model info in this thread? I wasn't able to find it but I may have missed it.

Muldrick

Threads
make sure the fuel tank is vented
Unscrew the gas cap and see if it starts

Threads
I'm still mowing a couple of acres with a Scott's (JD) 42" I bought at Home Depot in 2001...lots of strange crap over the years; one time it would run for 5 or so minutes and quit. Sounded similar to OP problem. I thought it was that fuel solenoid deal, but check this out - after I replaced the solenoid (replaced with new one instead of cutting the plunger off like some recommend) it still failed. It turned out to be a loose battery cable hiding under the rubber cover from the battery to the starter motor. It would eventually vibrate just enough to lose electrical power which would cause the fuel solenoid to shut off and voila, dead. Blew my mind when I found it, but the point is that it could be something like that, so don't forget to check the simple stuff too.

detel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a small craftsman riding mower with a problem that is beyond me....

Problem: It runs for 10 or 15 minutes then stops running then it wont start. I let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes and it will strat but will only run for another 10 or 15 minutes then stops running

What I did to try to fix? I had thought it must be the coil going bad seemed when it warms up it quits, sits for a bit cools down and it will start again. So I replaced the coil and spark plug still same problem so I turned my attention to the fuel system. Next time it quit I looked at the fuel filter and it was empty. I thought ok must be fuel tank outlet, fuel line plugged, or vent for tank plugged. I drained tank (it looked clean inside tank bottom). I ran a wire down the tank outlet then blew air through the fuel line into the tank. I also thought it may be a vent problem just to be sure I drilled a small hole in the tank cap and put a new fuel filter on. I then put new gas back in and disconnected the fuel line from the carb. Fuel flowed through the fuel line and filter, flow looked good so reattached the fuel line to carb started it up and could see fuel in the filter was dropping, looked like it was sucking gas faster than the fuel from the tank refilled the filter. Sure enough the filter emptied and the motor stopped. Once again I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and gas immediately came pouring out. So no signs of anything plugged.

I thought about this and thought maybe a vent in the carb is plugged and stopping the flow of gas from the tank. So I put a brand new carb on, lower the fuel line to let the filter fill and connected it back to the carb. But this did not help once the fuel filter got empty it died. So I have been through the electrical with new coil, spark plug and fuel system with new carb, fuel filter, blowing fuel line out all the way from just before fuel filter into tank, made sure tank is venting, and verified fuel moves freely through gas line and fuel filter by disconnecting fuel line from carb.

I don't have a clue what else I can do and why fuel does not flow through the line when connected to the carb. After the fuel filter empties out and it dies, by letting it sit fuel drips very slowly from the tank into the filter and it will start till the fuel filter is empty. Any ideas?
Have you immediately removed the gas cap when it stopped to see if the fuel started flowing again? That's where I would put my money!

Gumshoew

Forum Newbie
Threads

Problem: It runs for 10 or 15 minutes then stops running then it wont start. I let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes and it will strat but will only run for another 10 or 15 minutes then stops running

What I did to try to fix? I had thought it must be the coil going bad seemed when it warms up it quits, sits for a bit cools down and it will start again. So I replaced the coil and spark plug still same problem so I turned my attention to the fuel system. Next time it quit I looked at the fuel filter and it was empty. I thought ok must be fuel tank outlet, fuel line plugged, or vent for tank plugged. I drained tank (it looked clean inside tank bottom). I ran a wire down the tank outlet then blew air through the fuel line into the tank. I also thought it may be a vent problem just to be sure I drilled a small hole in the tank cap and put a new fuel filter on. I then put new gas back in and disconnected the fuel line from the carb. Fuel flowed through the fuel line and filter, flow looked good so reattached the fuel line to carb started it up and could see fuel in the filter was dropping, looked like it was sucking gas faster than the fuel from the tank refilled the filter. Sure enough the filter emptied and the motor stopped. Once again I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and gas immediately came pouring out. So no signs of anything plugged.

I thought about this and thought maybe a vent in the carb is plugged and stopping the flow of gas from the tank. So I put a brand new carb on, lower the fuel line to let the filter fill and connected it back to the carb. But this did not help once the fuel filter got empty it died. So I have been through the electrical with new coil, spark plug and fuel system with new carb, fuel filter, blowing fuel line out all the way from just before fuel filter into tank, made sure tank is venting, and verified fuel moves freely through gas line and fuel filter by disconnecting fuel line from carb.

I don't have a clue what else I can do and why fuel does not flow through the line when connected to the carb. After the fuel filter empties out and it dies, by letting it sit fuel drips very slowly from the tank into the filter and it will start till the fuel filter is empty. Any ideas?
Collapsing fuel line is possibly the culprit.

Curtisun

Threads

To start with check to see if you have a fuel pump. Most mowers have one. Find out if the filter is in the line before or after this pump (it should be filtering before it gets to the pump). Replace the fuel lines, filter and cutoff if it has one (this is not expensive and will say for sure that is or is not the problem). The rubber fuel line could be closing off the fuel flow. Rubber fuel lines can internally separate and a small part of it can close and stop fuel flow. Also, the cut off valve if it has one can stop fuel flow if it has trash in it and this can be intermittent. The filter could be bad and stopping the flow. By what you stated you definitely have a fuel flow problem.
I have run up on one mower that had the filter after the pump. So that little flapper in the would get something stopping it from closing because it was not filtered fuel going to the pump and it would stop pumping, the fuel from the filter would continue flowing until the filter emptied. I changed this back to putting the filter in the line from the tank to the pump and corrected the problem.

lefty2cox

Threads
I don't think it is the filter as when I disconnect the fuel line from the carb gas pours out no problem,
I don't think this necessarily disqualifies the filter as the culprit. I can't remember who said it originally, maybe Shakespeare, but it's screen filters on gravity systems and paper on fuel pumps.

Ray G

Forum Newbie
Threads

Disconnect the fuel line from the filter and see if it will continuously drain into a container. I had one similar problem. I pressurized the gas tank and no gas came out the line. Blew air in the other end of the line , no problem , the fuel line was acting like a check valve. Replaced the line, good to go.

kjonxx

Threads

Replace the fuel line as it could have internal split thats closing it off.

MIKEYS

Forum Newbie
Threads
with gravity feed you need a 75 micron fuel filter, your generic one is most likely 51 microns.
try a kohler 25-05021-s, that fixed my same problem years ago.